Did I ruin this? Lockdown too late.

Alexacfreeman

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
So I have had so much going on the last few days with family deaths and I didn’t put the eggs into lockdown. It got to the day before hatch day and I realized oh crap I didn’t put them into lockdown so I candled and still saw movement and put them into lockdown on day 20. Did I ruin this? What are the chances they will hatch?

Shouldn't be a major issue (unless they have pipped a few hours ago)

I believe there are two reasons for lockdown;
1) Get humidity up so that they don't shrink-wrap once they pip (although some don't increase humidity until they see the first pip)
2) Let them orient themselves to prepare for hatching (although there will be sibling soccer if you leave the first hatchers in the bator, yet most are still able to hatch)

So probably only a minor issue - if an issue at all

I’d be inclined to think of it, that eggs under hens don’t go into lockdown....
Yes, I know it’s not quite the same... but still, those chicks make it, so I don’t see how it’ll be that big of a deal.

By the way, I’m sorry for the loss of your loved one... that always sucks, no matter what the circumstances. :hugs Dealing with that should absolutely take priority.

I’d be inclined to think of it, that eggs under hens don’t go into lockdown....
Yes, I know it’s not quite the same... but still, those chicks make it, so I don’t see how it’ll be that big of a deal.

By the way, I’m sorry for the loss of your loved one... that always sucks, no matter what the circumstances. :hugs Dealing with that should absolutely take priority.
Thank you very much.

I think they'll be fine. They just need to readjust their possition and that takes a little strength. It makes it easier for them if they don't have to. But it's not going to ruin your hatch.
Yeah I put them into lockdown and it’s the day after hatch day. No pips yet. We will see. Only have two eggs in there.

Yay first pup now just waiting on the second one. I can relax and breath now and give them their space and time lol

Attachments

• 5BCD8615-5DBA-485D-80BF-0DE351943E36.jpeg
    5BCD8615-5DBA-485D-80BF-0DE351943E36.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom