Did I Rush It?????

Discussion in 'Geese' started by goosemama, Jun 12, 2011.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Had 2 purchased goose eggs in the Bator which almost exploded on me - I removed and cracked them before they did. Had 3 more collected from my own goose but they were laid many days apart. One I put in 5/8 which hatched on 6/5 (28 days) & he/she is doing well in a brooder with a batch of chicks. Another put in 5/10 which should have hatched 6/7 but didn't. I candle it every day, it is entirely black except for lopsided white air cell at top. Can see no movement or hear anything. Today is 33rd day. I decided to break it (in a plastic bag) as it seemed way over due and I was afraid of it exploding. There was a good sized gosling inside with huge yolk material attached and lots of runny pale yellow liquid inside. Did I just kill it? or does it appear it had died somewhere near completion? Give it to me straight!!!! It is so hard being new to geese incubation whether to step in and avoid a blow up in the incubator or to act prematurely and perhaps kill a developing gosling. Have another goose egg in there that I wasn't going to hatch & put in the fridge for a few days. When my husband came in with another one I put them both in the Bator. It was put in 6/7 and I marked it that it had been in the fridge "just in case" but on candling at day #5 I can detect a red spot in center with veins coming from it so that sounds positive so will leave it and hope for the best. Anyone have any thoughts on the egg I cracked w/gosling inside? Did I rush it?

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    If it didn't move when you cracked the egg open, you didn't kill it, it was already dead. Unfortunately, I opened an egg I thought was dead last month, and it was very much alive in there at that point, and moved quite a lot, very visibly. I had opened the end of the egg above the air cell, and I tried taping it up and letting it go, it lasted 3 more days then died.

It really sounds to me like it was already dead. You didn't mention anything about seeing it move, and I suspect if it were moving around, you would have known it -- its not subtle movement, they move quite a bit, sort of squirm around.

3. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    No it didn't move at all and gave the appearance of being dead - eye not opened or anything even twitching. I was candling it hoping to see some movement then, but didn't see anything so being 5 days overdue decided to open it. Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't sure if the hatch date could vary that much from 28 to 33 days for the same eggs out of the same parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by