Did I screw up? Vent question

wrestling_mom

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Henderson County, NC
I just had 8 new chicks, and cleaned the bator, and set 14 more eggs in it. I forgot to put the little round vent plugs back in, and the eggs were in for 1.5 days already. Humidity is between 50 and 60 percent, temp is 99.

1. I just put one plug back in, is this okay to have been out that long?

2. Should I have had BOTH plugs in?

3. Will the addition of the plug raise the temp and humidity? I won't be home until this afternoon, and hope it doesn't all come undone while I am gone.

Thanks in advance!

Putting the plugs in will raise the temp some. If all is well now then leave it alone. Some never use the plugs, some put in for last three days to help with humidity and then others use the plugs to change temp by a degree to compensate for fluctuating room temperature. No worries.

I never have any of my plugs in. Makes my humidity to high. I don't want mine over 50%.
Good luck
smile.png

vent plugs should be used to control the humidity.. If your humidity is that high, I would leave the plugs out..

If you are going to adjust anything, do not adjust and then go away.. adjust only when you are able to stay and monitor the results..

you can affect the temp a little by adjusting the humidity..

If it were me, I would lower the mumidity to 35 or 40%..

do not adjust both the humidity and temp at the same time.. If you lower your humidity, the temp should rise..

Quote:
She said all her plugs are out... so how do you lower your humidity? Prop the lid open?
Don't have this problem myself... just wondering for future reference.
Thanks.

Last edited:
mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
She said all her plugs are out... so how do you lower your humidity? Prop the lid open?
Thanks.

No you do not prop the lid open.. that will lower the humicity but it will also let all the heat escape..

somehow she has to eliminate some of the water surface. since I have no idea how much water she has in there or how it is being presented, I cannot make any recommendations at this time, other than reduce the water......​

Quote:
Thanks.

No you do not prop the lid open.. that will lower the humicity but it will also let all the heat escape..

somehow she has to eliminate some of the water surface. since I have no idea how much water she has in there or how it is being presented, I cannot make any recommendations at this time, other than reduce the water......

Thanks ya'll! I see that the humidity is still about 50 percent, the temp is 101. I guess maybe I should take the vent plug out. No water in the bator, it's just humid outside.

Back
Top Bottom