Did mosquito larvae kill Sunny?

OwlLover

Alaskan Wanderer
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Hi everyone!
About a month ago, I ordered some more birds (chicken math for you!). One of them, a New Hampshire Red named Sunny, seemed to get lethargic and die suddenly, without a warning.
Later, I checked the water supply and there seemed to be mosquito larvae in it. No one else drank from it, thankfully, so I'm wondering if that's what killed her. She died within 24 hours after drinking it. If that isn't the cause, does anyone know what could've?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. New Hampshire Red, about 1 month, weight unknown
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic and died within 1 hour
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? She only displayed them about 1 hour until I checked on her again, only to find her laying down on her side.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Drinking water with mosquito larvae
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Normal diet, no treats
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not examined
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
Thanks to any help. I would really like to prevent any other birds suffering the same fate.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, mosquito larva didnt kill her. If there were algae in the water and she ate some of that, it could kill her. You would have to send her off to have a necropsy done to find out exactly what killed her if there were no algae in the water.

Back
Top Bottom