Did my dogs kill the chickens or something else?

Hi First like to say, how sorry to hear your sad news. We to lost 16 i bred, 7yrs
before that. But it was a fox, my own stupidity, as one night i did not lock them in their
coops. Hated myself as 7yrs without fail, i did. Our daughter had come over and stayed
late. We never even knew there was foxes around here. He got over a 6ft wall, and killed
them all. The worse site for us, was they were scattered everywhere. Plus some in the coops.Where my girls were to heavy, he could not get them back over. It was defo a
fox. It was only this year, my husband + boys built a double large coop, with huge run,
with enclosed roof. Even though it is fox proof, i still lock them up. every night. Never
want to go through that ever again. Like others and yorself have said, i do not think
it was your dogs. Especially having access to the ducks. Sounds like a fox, i agree as
well, you will not see a dog eat a chicken. Unless it was if they were really hungry.
They normally let go once there is no more movement. I know the fox who had ours,
would have taken them, probably to feed their cubs. You said one of your neighbours has been feeding them. If she hears your news, i wonder how she will feel. That is why i
think it was a fox. But you have also seen a coyete. One or the other, but not your dogs. They would have had blood feathers ect, well some evidence. If it had even been
one of them, they would have attacked the one in the bush. But they never. They were
probably telling the hen to get home. bless them. So happy you found her, safe and sound. My heart goes out to you, as it is not nice at all, to experience. Like so many
of us have on here. Keep us all updated, although it sounds a silly thing to tell you.
Stay strong, or try your best too. :love

Dogs don't generally eat what they kill. At least in my experience. @A_Fowl_Guy?

Agreed. It would depend on the dog, but in my experience this is true. I once met a neighbor's husky who killed 7 hens in 10 minutes. She had a very strong killing drive, but did not eat any of them. Another time, my puppy chased and killed a rooster by accident. She showed no interest in him as food, just didn't know that he was a pet and not a toy.

Also, if they're your dogs, you would see signs of aggression. I think you can rule them out.

:welcome :frow Try treats in the coop at night. I do it and the youngster run into their coops for their treats. Recently I lost my precious Gladys while free ranging to a fox and just prior I lost a couple of other birds. I hadn't lost a bird to a predator in several years. I do blame myself for loosing Gladys but not the other two because they were locked in their coop and pen. Somehow a gate was opened. When I discovered that two birds were missing and then found the piles of feathers, I wired the gates shut. I have a piece of wire on the inside on the gate that was opened and the gate opens out so the wire is always on the inside of the gate. Well the next morning I discovered the gate had been messed with again and somehow the wire that was on the inside of the gate was now on the outside of it. The predator had to put a good force to the gate to get it past the wire. I had been seeing a fox lurking around that coop and pen on a game camera. Unfortunately the nights in question it was foggy so I couldn't see the gate but the fox did get close enough to the camera that I saw it. I have been seeing it quite a bit. This was the pen that the predator had gotten the gate open. I have seen a fox and coyote there so they are the prime suspects. Since I have moved those birds to another coop but now have chicks in this one but I have been closing the pop door at night.
View attachment 1819608 View attachment 1819609 View attachment 1819611

I'm definitely going to be locking them up at night for their own good. Only have 4 hens and a rooster left. We used to have a camera overlooking our backyard but stupidly turned it off. I wish we kept it on... Maybe would've seen what happened to the chicken. However our gate to our backyard got open is a mystery to me so I'm paranoid of it getting opened again. My mother put the dogs out really early thus morning when it was still dark out, I think it was too dark for her to tell if the pile of feathers was there already... I'm really praying it wasn't my dogs

Hi First like to say, how sorry to hear your sad news. We to lost 16 i bred, 7yrs
before that. But it was a fox, my own stupidity, as one night i did not lock them in their
coops. Hated myself as 7yrs without fail, i did. Our daughter had come over and stayed
late. We never even knew there was foxes around here. He got over a 6ft wall, and killed
them all. The worse site for us, was they were scattered everywhere. Plus some in the coops.Where my girls were to heavy, he could not get them back over. It was defo a
fox. It was only this year, my husband + boys built a double large coop, with huge run,
with enclosed roof. Even though it is fox proof, i still lock them up. every night. Never
want to go through that ever again. Like others and yorself have said, i do not think
it was your dogs. Especially having access to the ducks. Sounds like a fox, i agree as
well, you will not see a dog eat a chicken. Unless it was if they were really hungry.
They normally let go once there is no more movement. I know the fox who had ours,
would have taken them, probably to feed their cubs. You said one of your neighbours has been feeding them. If she hears your news, i wonder how she will feel. That is why i
think it was a fox. But you have also seen a coyete. One or the other, but not your dogs. They would have had blood feathers ect, well some evidence. If it had even been
one of them, they would have attacked the one in the bush. But they never. They were
probably telling the hen to get home. bless them. So happy you found her, safe and sound. My heart goes out to you, as it is not nice at all, to experience. Like so many
of us have on here. Keep us all updated, although it sounds a silly thing to tell you.
Stay strong, or try your best too. :love
Thank you so so much for the kind words, it's reassuring to hear some words about why it's not my dogs. I would've just felt awful if it was my dogs. The one that died either last night or this morning is still a mystery to when it died, as we haven't found out from my mother who put the dogs out this morning if she saw the feathers there, if there was only feathers there, etc. I feel awful as we hadn't been letting them free range for like six months. Six months ago we lost 18 ducks to a fox family, they weren't free range but the fence wasn't secure we found out. After that we put the chickens away all day and built a temporary enclosure in our backyard for our young ducks until the bigger one is fixed up. One night we lost 9 ducks, all that was left was one with a broken neck, the next day the body was gone before I could bury him. Only one duck survived the attacks, Duckly and now he hides with out geese flock. I just feel bad that I had gotten comfortable again and let them out, it was like the fox and coyotes were watching. They probably have been here all six months due to the neighbor feeding them, she thinks there's nothing wrong with feeding them even though we told her they kill chickens and ducks and even cats

The killings are usually clean as a whistle, literally only feathers left. The one today in our backyard only feathers, two chicken feet and some weird bone are left. But if it was there before my dogs were let out this morning they could've eaten what was left behind. The coyotes we have are getting extremely more bold, coming all the way up to our fence with all the lights on. And the foxes are staying because our neighbor feeds them. We've called someone on her and all they did was tell her to stop but she hasn't. My one dog used to stay out at night until I saw the coyote right up on our fence and was like nope inside now
We have a lot of different predators but mostly coyotes because nothing preys on coyotes to keep their population in check but they will kill other predators such as bobcat and fox. I have several game cameras up around my property. Most every night I see usually a coyote on at least one of the cameras. This was early this morning behind some of the coops.
DSCF0001620 01.jpg

Could be a fox, coyote, or owl. Others disappearing without a trace sounds like an owl. Leaving your birds out at night is a recipe for disaster as they cannot are well at night and will bunker down if they don’t make it to the coop. Any hole your chickens can get into, a predator can as well.

Agreed. It would depend on the dog, but in my experience this is true. I once met a neighbor's husky who killed 7 hens in 10 minutes. She had a very strong killing drive, but did not eat any of them. Another time, my puppy chased and killed a rooster by accident. She showed no interest in him as food, just didn't know that he was a pet and not a toy.

Also, if they're your dogs, you would see signs of aggression. I think you can rule them out.
My dogs are an mini Australian shepherd(3yr) and a Australian shepherd heeler mix(6 Mos) both female. Our younger girl used to show aggression but after getting her fixed in May her aggression and prey drive went down significantly over the next month. I just got super paranoid but Ive always had neighbors and friends say oh once they kill a chicken there's no saving them. I'm still getting piper training to get used to leaving chickens alone, just as an extra precaution

We have a lot of different predators but mostly coyotes because nothing preys on coyotes to keep their population in check but they will kill other predators such as bobcat and fox. I have several game cameras up around my property. Most every night I see usually a coyote on at least one of the cameras. This was early this morning behind some of the coops.
View attachment 1819621

We have the same issue with coyotes not having a natural predator here in Indiana. The sound they make at night is bloodcurdling.

View attachment 1819621

I had a photo somewhere of the coyote I caught right by our fence. It was the strangest thing, it had NO fear of the light and didn't move away until it saw me. Usually lights on deter them but he looked like he was ready to hop over the fence, Misa was even barking at him and he didn't go away. I've never seen a coyote so unphased by all that

Back
Top Bottom