Did my husband kill my hatching eggs??

Sharksandguitars

Songster
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Watson, LA
I had been watching the temp very closely on a borrowed incubator all day before we put the eggs in. Then that evening my husband wasn't satisfied with the 99 temp, and turned the adjuster... when he woke up the bator was at 102 degrees... would that have killed all the eggs? They could have been at 102 degrees for 7 hours.

Is it a still air incubator or forced air?

It is possible that they are okay as I have read some threads where people keep theirs between 99 and 102 though I prefer specifically 99.5 to 100.

How long have the eggs been in the incubator?

If you can candle them in a few days and they are at least 10 days old (maybe sooner, that's just when I candle mine) you should be able to see movement.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

They should be fine. I've had mine go that high a few times and all went well. Keep an eye on the temp as much as you can. My temps seem to vary about 1Deg. high to low. Every now and then it seems to get a little out of the range I want and I make small adjustments.

Hope it works for ya.

I was absolutely certain I fried my last batch of marans. They were at 101-102 for a whole day. The eggs were dark so I couldn't candle, either. Had to just wait til hatch day. On day 20 and 21, 18 out 25 hatched, which was a fabulous hatch. Made me wonder if the higher temperature was better for the chicks anyway!

Back
Top Bottom