1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did my husband kill my hatching eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sharksandguitars, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    I had been watching the temp very closely on a borrowed incubator all day before we put the eggs in. Then that evening my husband wasn't satisfied with the 99 temp, and turned the adjuster... when he woke up the bator was at 102 degrees... would that have killed all the eggs? They could have been at 102 degrees for 7 hours.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Is it a still air incubator or forced air?

It is possible that they are okay as I have read some threads where people keep theirs between 99 and 102 though I prefer specifically 99.5 to 100.

How long have the eggs been in the incubator?

If you can candle them in a few days and they are at least 10 days old (maybe sooner, that's just when I candle mine) you should be able to see movement.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

3. Sharksandguitars

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    It says it is circulated air, and I am not sure what that means. We put water in the base of it.

4. Sharksandguitars

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    oh, it has a fan... so it is forced?

5. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    They should be fine. I've had mine go that high a few times and all went well. Keep an eye on the temp as much as you can. My temps seem to vary about 1Deg. high to low. Every now and then it seems to get a little out of the range I want and I make small adjustments.

Hope it works for ya.

6. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
  7. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    I was absolutely certain I fried my last batch of marans. They were at 101-102 for a whole day. The eggs were dark so I couldn't candle, either. Had to just wait til hatch day. On day 20 and 21, 18 out 25 hatched, which was a fabulous hatch. Made me wonder if the higher temperature was better for the chicks anyway!

8. Sharksandguitars

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Thanks! I am watching it like a hawk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by