Did Not Inspect Hens Prior to Purchase - Were Abused

They look good all cleaned up! They may have been broody. Or they may not have had a clean place to roost, so they slept on a dirty, hard floor.

If you haven't already, I'd check for lice/mites. Those will do a number on feathers.

And good for you for rescuing them (that's really what you did by taking them off that farm)! My rescue hen is a joy, even though her looks never recovered.

Thanks. I checked them for lice and mites, as well as for signs of infection and parasites, and they appeared all healthy, so I introduced them yesterday to the others.

I wouldn't have imagined ever that I would buy a rescue pet of any kind, just because I like predictability, but I'm glad this happened, it's made me a better person.

That's a tricky call, especially if you only saw (see) the two birds you have now. If, however, you saw all the other birds that they might have had in horrible conditions, then that's a different story...

Your birds look much better now that they've had a bath. I suspect the missing feathers were the result of boredom or overcrowding where they were kept, and there's a good chance they'll grow back in.

Make sure you get back to Wyorp Rock for sound advice with them moving forward.

Yes, but thankfully it will be just a welfare check. It was not easy making the call but my husband who grew up on a farm urged me that, that was not normal, and the stench was unforgettable. Just glad they are fine, but yes, will send photos over of their feet. I've learned so much from this site, it's been a blessing.

So whats actually wrong with them besides a smell that has disappeared since a bath? Why start drama with the ex owners and the officials? So one smelled bad so what its a chicken it probably are or rolled in something. You yourself said they look healthy

the Austrolorp's wings were cut to a point it would be painful,
Where's the cut wings?

I spoke with a gentleman from animal control who stated that he was going to check on things and see what's going on.
Yes, but thankfully it will be just a welfare check.

The hens are fine, thank goodness.
I checked them for lice and mites, as well as for signs of infection and parasites, and they appeared all healthy, so I introduced them yesterday to the others.
The hens are doing very well and are healthy, are just molting and broody.
So there's no concern that anything is wrong with the hens after all?

Why have a "welfare check" if the hens are perfectly fine?
I'm not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand. Calling animal welfare on someone is serious - you are happy with the hens, they are well and healthy - even healthy enough that you are comfortable adding them to your existing flock(s). All within a just a few days - so why is a welfare check even needed?

Back
Top Bottom