Did one of our hens really lay this egg?

Is it a chicken egg?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Ajtheox

Hatching
Apr 9, 2016

So my son found this egg in the coop. It's 3.15 oz. None of our hens have ever come close to laying something this size. They usually lay 2-2.3 oz eggs. I candled it and it's a single yolk. Wondering if maybe a wild turkey or duck was able to sneak into our coop and lay it? I'm going to try and hatch it, to see what comes out.

welcome-byc.gif
Great to have another poultry lover! Let us know what it is when it hatches sounds interesting.

So my son found this egg in the coop. It's 3.15 oz. None of our hens have ever come close to laying something this size. They usually lay 2-2.3 oz eggs. I candled it and it's a single yolk. Wondering if maybe a wild turkey or duck was able to sneak into our coop and lay it? I'm going to try and hatch it, to see what comes out.

I've had my chickens lay three or four of those kind of eggs in the last couple years. They have all been double yolk or's. And then the chicken doesn't lay another egg for a day or two :)

Thanks, I did some research before I posted and found some of the egg within egg videos. However, when I candled the egg it only has 1 yolk. I have an Ameraucana that regularly lays green double yolks, and this egg monster egg is something entirely different. I know old hens can also lay big eggs, but flock is all about a year old. I noticed a lot of the feed was gone inside the coop, so I'm leaning more toward a wild turkey egg for now. I really hope it's fertile and hatches.

Back
Top Bottom