Did polyvisol kill my hen?

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
One of my hens was acting sick today, so I put a couple drops of polyvisol vitamins (without iron) in a jar with about a tbsp of water. I put some on her beak (not more than a 1/4 tsp) and in 5 minutes she had convulsions and died! Did I kill her by giving the vitamins to her? I knew she was sick, she was standing alone hunched up and not interested in treats. She wasn't laying any eggs, molting right now. I feel horrible, if only I had just waited and watched, maybe she would be alive. I can't save her now, but maybe this could be a warning for someone else.

One of my hens was acting sick today, so I put a couple drops of polyvisol vitamins (without iron) in a jar with about a tbsp of water. I put some on her beak (not more than a 1/4 tsp) and in 5 minutes she had convulsions and died! Did I kill her by giving the vitamins to her? I knew she was sick, she was standing alone hunched up and not interested in treats. She wasn't laying any eggs, molting right now. I feel horrible, if only I had just waited and watched, maybe she would be alive. I can't save her now, but maybe this could be a warning for someone else.

No, you're not responsible for her death. Since she was already sick, the illness put more stress onto her system in conjunction with her molt. She was too weak to fight off whatever was affecting her.

Thank you, I wish I had just separated her & waited. It's always the friendliest hens that seem to die first. (sigh)

Thank you, I wish I had just separated her & waited. It's always the friendliest hens that seem to die first. (sigh)

Very true!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom