Did she do the egg squat?? when will she lay?

MrOrpington16

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
MA
I adopted my pullet from a shelter 2 1/2 months ago and they did not tell me how old she was.. I guess she was about 2 1/2 to 3 months.. She is very dominant over the hens and is the loudest.... she roars at me.. It sounds like URRRR, URRR... She put her wings out and crouched when i went near her yesterday.. she only did it once though... she has a very red face and large comb and wattles.. My profile picture is a pic of her when I adopted her.. I changed her food to all flock because i have younger pullets. I put oyster shells out for her also . When will she lay and will changing her feed affect her in anyway? Thankyou!!!!

This was her two weeks ago:

She doesn't look like she will have that long left before she lays, probably less than month. Also, changing the feed should not affect her at all, however you should change it gradually.

Last edited:
That bird looks like a Barred Rock to me. You do know that when she squats like she did that she is offering herself to the dominant being in the coop. Since there is no rooster she sees you as dominant and is offering herself to you. She may already and most likely is already laying somewhere and you just haven't found her spot yet. Do you have a nest box set up for her to lay in? If not you need to get one ASAP. She looks to me that she is more than ready to lay and should be.

That bird looks like a Barred Rock to me. You do know that when she squats like she did that she is offering herself to the dominant being in the coop. Since there is no rooster she sees you as dominant and is offering herself to you. She may already and most likely is already laying somewhere and you just haven't found her spot yet. Do you have a nest box set up for her to lay in? If not you need to get one ASAP. She looks to me that she is more than ready to lay and should be.
Yes I have three nesting boxes for my four hens so that is plenty... I let them out of their coop for an hour a day to free rang but I see their every move lol.. There are hawks in the neighborhood so I have to stay out and watch them.. So she is not laying outside.. she has a 10x10 coop that she lives in and I usaualy rake it every other day to look for eggs.. I check the nooks and crannies.. so hopefully soon!!

Back
Top Bottom