1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did she do the egg squat?? when will she lay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MrOrpington16, Nov 9, 2013.

1. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    I adopted my pullet from a shelter 2 1/2 months ago and they did not tell me how old she was.. I guess she was about 2 1/2 to 3 months.. She is very dominant over the hens and is the loudest.... she roars at me.. It sounds like URRRR, URRR... She put her wings out and crouched when i went near her yesterday.. she only did it once though... she has a very red face and large comb and wattles.. My profile picture is a pic of her when I adopted her.. I changed her food to all flock because i have younger pullets. I put oyster shells out for her also . When will she lay and will changing her feed affect her in anyway? Thankyou!!!!

This was her two weeks ago:

[​IMG]

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Mine started about a week or so after they started to squat.

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Usually within a week of the posture.

4. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    She doesn't look like she will have that long left before she lays, probably less than month. Also, changing the feed should not affect her at all, however you should change it gradually.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    That bird looks like a Barred Rock to me. You do know that when she squats like she did that she is offering herself to the dominant being in the coop. Since there is no rooster she sees you as dominant and is offering herself to you. She may already and most likely is already laying somewhere and you just haven't found her spot yet. Do you have a nest box set up for her to lay in? If not you need to get one ASAP. She looks to me that she is more than ready to lay and should be.

6. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    Yes I have three nesting boxes for my four hens so that is plenty... I let them out of their coop for an hour a day to free rang but I see their every move lol.. There are hawks in the neighborhood so I have to stay out and watch them.. So she is not laying outside.. she has a 10x10 coop that she lives in and I usaualy rake it every other day to look for eggs.. I check the nooks and crannies.. so hopefully soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by