1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did she Freeze to death?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 8WarEagleChicks, Nov 11, 2011.

1. 8WarEagleChicks

8WarEagleChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    I looked out at the run this morning and saw my 7 month old Australorp pullet dead on the ground.
    She is the only chicken who does not go in the coop with the others. She roosts on top of the nest boxes which is about 6 feet off the ground. I didn't think about it dipping below freezing last night.
    Is it possible she fell off the slanting roof of the boxes and broke her neck? Or did she freeze to death without a buddy to keep her warm?

I really did not think it was that cold. We have had a few frosts here already but last night was the coldest so far (28 F).

Here is the coop. She fell from those shingles in front.

[​IMG]

Also...Last year I put clear plastic over all the back, side and door vents of this coop. I left that front area over the boxes open for ventilation. Was that overkill? I also put straw bales around the base to keep drafts from under the coop and provide a wind break for the girls. Just wondering if it was too much?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    She wouldn't freeze at 29 F. Check her over, you may see a mark on her neck or some other indication she was killed.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So sorry to hear about your baby. Maybe she broke her neck when she fell.

So sorry. [​IMG]

4. 8WarEagleChicks

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    I checked her all over and there were no signs of distress or bite marks.
    That coop is encircled by a 16' x 16' pen made of cattle panels (with chicken wire) that was locked.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think something killed her. Possibly an illness.
    It certainly wasn't cold. 7 month Australorp should be able to handle the coldest it ever gets in NC.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    she didn't freeze...I had several get locked out the coop the other night when it dipped to sub zero...they were fine.

I had a gold comet die a couple weeks ago...no reason...it just happens sometimes...maybe she fell or ate something she shouldn't have.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It is sad to lose a hen. Sorry. No, she did not freeze to death, it was something else entirely and you may never know.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Like Fred says it is sad to lose one. But one question I would like to ask. You say she wouldn't go inside. She roosted on the nest boxes. Did you ever try to put her inside after she went to roost. I mean like break of the habit or did you let her have her way. Just wondering for adding to my chicken knowledge.

Still like the others have said, something had to have killed her.

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Sometimes chickens do just die, from causes we may never know. If there are no bite wounds it's possible she was already ill. Had her egg production stopped. Could she have been egg bound? Don't beat yourself up about it too much. I'm sure you are a great chicken owner. I'm sorry for your loss!

10. 8WarEagleChicks

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    I just didn't think about her roosting there. I used to toss her and her sister in with the others...her sister stopped roosting there and was in the coop of her own free will last night.
    But here lately I didn't think it was a danger for her to roost there.

All I can think is she must have slipped off in her sleep as those shingles are a bit steep?

I had one chicken fall over this summer from heat I guess...It is weird that they can go so quickly and you never do really know what took them.

She had not been acting or looking sick this week that I can remember.

Thank you all for your replies. She was a beautiful bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by