Did she lay an egg

I would be really surprised if she’s hiding them. She spends almost all her time by our side door and I’m always checking up on her so I feel like I would see her wander off to go lay them. I’m really hoping she lays this winter, the first egg is always so exciting!
Does she free range?

I just checked everywhere I don’t see any evidence of her laying any and besides she doesn’t sing the egg song. I think it’s to cold for her to lay
Yeah, I've heard that hens will wait to lay an egg if its too cold. Yours look like a production though and they usually lay through the winter, so yours might still lay.

I just checked everywhere I don’t see any evidence of her laying any
You could shut her in a pen for two days & nights-- if she is laying, she should lay within that length of time, and then you'd know for sure.

she doesn’t sing the egg song.
I've had some hens that did, and some that did not.
I think there were more who did not, than the ones that did.

I think it’s to cold for her to lay
Does water freeze? In the daytime?
If not, I'm positive it is not too cold for her to lay eggs.

I grew up in Alaska. I'd go through the snow to the chicken pen, replace the frozen water water with fresh water twice a day, collect the frozen eggs... (Yes, that freezing water was inside the chicken coop. The chickens themselves were fine, but frozen eggs can crack open and then they leak when they thaw.)

Some hens will not lay when the days are short. Since short days and cold weather usually go together, people think (wrongly) that the cold is at fault. A light bulb for a few hours each morning or evening is much more useful than a heater when someone wants winter eggs. Of course hens will not lay if they are starving or dehydrated, so you need to be sure they have food and water (not ice), but that is the only way cold seems to affect laying.

You could shut her in a pen for two days & nights-- if she is laying, she should lay within that length of time, and then you'd know for sure.

I've had some hens that did, and some that did not.
I think there were more who did not, than the ones that did.

Does water freeze? In the daytime?
If not, I'm positive it is not too cold for her to lay eggs.

I grew up in Alaska. I'd go through the snow to the chicken pen, replace the frozen water water with fresh water twice a day, collect the frozen eggs... (Yes, that freezing water was inside the chicken coop. The chickens themselves were fine, but frozen eggs can crack open and then they leak when they thaw.)

Some hens will not lay when the days are short. Since short days and cold weather usually go together, people think (wrongly) that the cold is at fault. A light bulb for a few hours each morning or evening is much more useful than a heater when someone wants winter eggs. Of course hens will not lay if they are starving or dehydrated, so you need to be sure they have food and water (not ice), but that is the only way cold seems to affect laying.
Well it’s not THAT cold today was the coldest day with a low of 43F and high of 70F

I know that "cold" can mean many things, so I've learned to ask or to give numbers :lol:

The temperatures you mention sound just about perfect for chickens, so I do not think those temperatures will keep her from laying.
She’s 21Wks old she might be a lay boomer considering she was really malnourished when she was younger. Who knows how long she was in the woods without food. I’m sure she still had grass and stuff but when we found her she was hiding in a bush.

Back
Top Bottom