Did the deed on Sunday

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mother of All, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    This was our first turkey and raised him from a baby. I worried about how we were going to do this first off we needed to get him from his pen, to a area on the other side of a creek about 30 yd away before we could start. I read about the bag and I thought that was a great idea but when my son arrived at the house he didn't take the time to stop and talk to me but grabbed a rope and went into the cage area where we have 5 turkeys and with out any nose from him or the turkeys he came out within 3 min. with the turkeys legs tied up and he was carrying the turkey upside down cross the creek and tied him to a tree.

His final weight is 26.4 lb. now the problem is will he fit in the oven and were do I find a roasting pan big enough to put him in.
  2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Looks like a good meaty one. I just got around to doing ours today. They aren't near as meaty as the BB kind so I did two of them. One calico and one burbon red. I've heard people saying they like this one breed over another but I haven't really been able to tell the difference so going to try the side by side taste test this time and see if I can tell a difference.
  3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Nicely done!

My 35lb tom fits in a standard stainless "hotel pan". This is a restaurant grade pan that should be available at any restaurant supply store.
  4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Beautiful ! Delicious! Good Job !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by