Did USPS change the policy on Shipping? Mild rant ;)

I usually don't specify what's in my boxes. I walk in, hand the package over and say "nothing liquid, fragile or parishable and no services other than DC please". They all know me though, so they think it's funny that I can say their little line, lol. Some of them will ask simply for their own giggles, because they KNOW that I'm sending something unorthadox out, be it flies, worms, fish, etc.

CaroleAM sent some eggs out to me on a Saturday recently with no problem. They got here on the following Monday.

And unfortunately they don't do any refunds for lost or late priority shipments. Found that out after they lost a box of eggs on their way here. They finally arrived, just 15 days after being sent. I didn't even have to wait 21 days to find out there goes another $25 down the drain.
smile.png

-Cindy in MA

Hi! It must have just been your local PO. Maybe there was a flight canceled or someone was just flat confused.

It sounds like they were trying to be helpful, at least.
Hopefully it was a one time thing and next Sat will be back to normal.

The box of eggs that was shipped from here on Sat, 5/2 was delivered in TN Mon morning, 5/4.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

I have some good friends in the postal system, but the system itself has some crack(pots) in it. When the Post Mistress implied that it was *my* fault that this letter was returned to me, that is when I walked out of the PO and haven't went back. I won't even talk about the journey I took in getting the local PO to order me some International Reply Coupons (IRC, used in ham radio as foreign postage)...I ended up having to get a FRENCH GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL to help me get them from OUR government...I ended up talking with the guy who is over this for the USA. It was really quiet a (sad) experience. Interestingly, this same post mistress asked us why we wanted "Forever" stamps the other day...she said postage *was not* going up!!! <sigh>

There are good folks in the postal system, but also a bunch of folks that show up to watch the clock. As time goes by I believe the cost will continue to increase and the service quality decrease...I believe that they're already talking of cutting out Saturday deliveries...whether the post offices themselves will be open on Saturdays is a guess.
sad.png

I wasn't offered a refund on the stamp, either.
PostageDue2.jpg

Last edited:
Heres something to consider if your paying for expensive air freight or overnight service that isn't local. Speaking as an individual who works in the transportation industry and who owns highway tractors consider the following.

Most couriers (can't speak for USPS personally, though) ship via ground transport over the weekends. Why?... Well...
1) Air transport is VERY, VERY expensive.
2) Ground transport is CHEAP.
3) Courier companies don't do deliveries over the weekend anyway.
4) Ground transport with team drivers can move across the continent in 2.5 days ie..the weekend.

If you are shipping and paying the very expensive "overnight" service fees...don't ship on friday. Monday to Thursday or Wednesday if you really want to be safe. I'm telling y'all this to save you some money and unnecessary shaking of your fragile eggs.

My son works for UPS. He told me not to mark them because after I leave they all packages get treated the same regardless of what's on the box. If you don't want the contents broke then pack it that way. I received 65 eggs, not markings on the box and not a one was broken or cracked but they were packed exceptionally well
smile.png

I don't ship anything of value by USPS after I almost had a wall quilt "walk out the door." The dedicated door-to-door mail carrier retrieved it!

If you can't believe the theft problem, see www.lostquilt.com. Please, mail employees, don't scold me. I have a wonderful rural mail carrier and local post office, so I assume this is a big city problem mostly. There are many problems in the federal postal system--ask a relative who works there. I ship valuables by UPS.

Edited: I was told by a relative to never mark anything "fragile." Mark it "photos." Remember, packages can be x-rayed.

Last edited:
My postmistress told me there's no way to avoid conver-belt handling, where you packages will be dropped 3 feet from one belt to another. The only time "Fragile" "this end up" etc. have any impact at all, is during short periods when people actually handle it. So I put on all the markings, and have added "Live embryos, handle with care!" and put cute pics of the eggs, babies of the species being shipped, and what they look like as adults. So far, the packages are arriving in good shape, one customer told me her carrier really enjoyed the pictures.

I think most postal workers would be careful with them, but the conveyor belts are the problem. There's no way around them. And, if they go by air at all, which they almost always do if it's very far, then they're handled by airline personnel, the PO has no control over that part at all.

So pack your eggs well, so they ride in the center of the box, away from top, bottom, and sides, and so they don't rattle around in the box. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm thinking M-T-W shipping may also be a good idea, as some of the other posters have mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom