Did you build your own coop/s?

Did you build your own coop/s?

• Yes, I did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I bought one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes we did. We used a shelter that we orginally had for gardening. So it was fairly open. We added another 6 feet to it with additional roofing. The shelves became nest box and we added a full door for us to get into on the side and a "door" for the hens on the front end.

We free range so in the morning we open the door and let them go. There is room inside for a few more girls and the feeder and water.

hmm.png
Cant say yes or no..... we revamped an old shed.
big_smile.png

Cleaned it out first, then re-did the inside, adding some insulation on one side, adding a run etc..

I ( or rather, DH) built our coop originally as a child's "tree" house. It was an 8x8 playhouse up on stilts 6 ft in the air among the trees. It was chopped down, landing on a trailer, hauled from the west side of the property to the east side, set down on concrete blocks, leveled....It would have been easier to start from scratch and build a new building!
lol.png

Quote:
I seem to be addicted to building coops. I'm getting close to having more coops than chickens!

I've built my flock a summer house, a winter house and a daytime tractor, and I'm eying another building site next to our screened breezeway at the moment. It sure would be nice this winter to be able to tend to chickens just outside the back door.

I built our coop. It was made in the shape of a barn.I bought the tin from a guy for $1.00 a linear foot and the 2x6's for the same and built it like a pole barn. I bought the barn shaped trusses from meanards and had to reinforce them all. They were not very sturdy. The coop sits on 5" fence posts about 2' off of the ground. all in all I have about $300.00 in the constuction of the unit.

My dad and I built my "Playhouse Coop" from scratch. Since he's 78 and I'm 53, I think we did pretty good getting it done in about a month (well, almost - I still have to put on the trim and finish up some painting).
I'd love to build another, bigger coop and get more chickens (yes, I'm already addicted). We'll have to see.
Here's my coop.
27396_dsc01544-1.jpg
27396_dsc01532-1.jpg

Maxx, there should be a third category of coops that used to be something else and then were converted to chicken coops. Ours was a shed at one time, but we renovated it to be a coop.

Back
Top Bottom