Didn't lock down!!!

SuperChiks

Songster
8 Years
May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Ugh I lost track of the days and kept turning though the 20th day. They should hatch tomorrow. One already did. What kind of damage should I expect? :(

Most likely clean-up will be a pain if you use an automatic turner. They get that gunk everywhere when they are crawling around after hatch. That’s a big reason to take the turner out. That’ll teach you to forget. Now you have to clean that turner!

Seriously, you probably did no damage to the chicks. Don’t worry about that. Chicken eggs don’t really need to be turned after 14 days or so, but it doesn’t really hurt them to be turned. It’s really convenient to stop turning and increase the humidity at the same time. That’s more why we stop turning at 18 days than any other reason. Convenience. Plus you should not open the incubator after an egg has pipped.

If you haven’t done it, you probably should increase your humidity in there during the hatch. Since you said one was already out it obviously doesn’t happen each and every time, but low humidity can cause the chicks to get shrink-wrapped. It’s not something that happens each and every time but it can happen so it’s best to raise the humidity some and not open the incubator.

Let us know how the hatch turns out. Sounds like a decent start.

Thank you so much for your input! Luckily i turn them by hand ... I didnt even think of what a mess it would be with a turner! Something happens every hatch! This time i saw movement in almost all that remained and I was going toward hatching day with great expectatiions... Until I realized! Ugh. Thanks again.. Ill keep u posted!!

Back
Top Bottom