Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MsBagawkbagawk, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Chantecler7

Chantecler7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Western Wisconsin
    Without going into a lot of detail, your birds are Ameraucanas. If they breed predictably true for a recognized color and have all the right characteristics, they are Ameraucana, whether the APA recognizes them in that color yet or not. Yes, splash to splash yields all splash offspring - they breed predictably true for color. There are a lot of self-proclaimed experts on the internet, but if you want good information go to the Ameraucana website. I know this will be censored and probably deleted, but I'm telling it like it is.
    Also, I checked out your source's website. Do not believe everything they are telling you there, because it is not all true.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    Okay, thank you! I appreciate you giving me an honest answer.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    They all look like Ameraucana's to me. Except for the speckled (Barred) one in the thrid picture down. Blue to blue will produce 50% blue, 25% black and 25% Splash, so yes splash would be considered pure ameraucana but unrecognized color for the breed standard. With the blue coloration you don't always get the right shades either. Thing is all Ameraucanas and Araucanas all started out with what most folks call Easter Eggers (imported South American stock) they did not comfopm to any breed standard. They the breeders) just took the stock and bred them up to a standard.

4. Sunflower3628ac

Sunflower3628ac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    West Palm Beach, FL
    [​IMG]
    This is my EE Dale, she does not have a beard or muffs but hatched from a blue egg. I expected a beard and muff for all Ameraurcana/EE but obviously that skipped this bird. I'm just thankful it is a hen and not a roo since I seem to get more roos than hens.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    That happens at times. There was obvisiusly a non beareded bird in the backgorund.

6. NRML

NRML Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2013
    Appreciate the time you took to explain this to me...thank you!

7. larisalynn

larisalynn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    I'm sad now I think all the Ameraucanas I bought are EEs :-(

8. Angelray

Angelray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Bullhead City, AZ

I feel your pain! I got 2 before I knew the diff

Live & Learn

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Well, at least you'll still probably get colored eggs!

10. Angelray

Angelray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Bullhead City, AZ

Maybe, but some EE's will lay brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by