Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

Pics

Hi all! I would love to have the opinion of you good people...is this an Ameraucana or EE? I ordered EE's and a rare mix, so I was never sure if some were Ameraucanas that came in the rare breed mix or not. Do Ameraucanas ever have green legs? Or is that a result of mixing slate and yellow legs?

Hi all! I would love to have the opinion of you good people...is this an Ameraucana or EE? I ordered EE's and a rare mix, so I was never sure if some were Ameraucanas that came in the rare breed mix or not. Do Ameraucanas ever have green legs? Or is that a result of mixing slate and yellow legs?

If she has green legs then she's an EE... very pretty... green legs is a result of mixing yellow skinned breed with the white skinned Ameraucana... Ameraucanas will always have white foot pads... :)

They are non standard colors, so they are Easter Eggers. Ameraucana do not ever have green legs. Ameraucana have white skin and a darker 'slate' wash over their legs/feet. Easter Eggers usually have yellow skin with a dark wash on their legs. It's the yellow skin that causes the greenish look. White skin is dominant over yellow, so if you have a yellow skinned 'Ameraucana', you really have an Easter Egger. It takes more than muffs, beard, and a pea comb for a bird to be an Ameraucana.

They are non standard colors, so they are Easter Eggers. Ameraucana do not ever have green legs. Ameraucana have white skin and a darker 'slate' wash over their legs/feet. Easter Eggers usually have yellow skin with a dark wash on their legs. It's the yellow skin that causes the greenish look. White skin is dominant over yellow, so if you have a yellow skinned 'Ameraucana', you really have an Easter Egger. It takes more than muffs, beard, and a pea comb for a bird to be an Ameraucana.

Thank you to both of you! Could you possibly point me to a photo of a standard brown red?

Last edited:

I was under the impression that if you Breed 2 different types of Amerucanas you now have an EE. I have a beautiful white Amerucana that is fertilized by a lavender rooster but the babies I am hatching will be considered easter eggers.

I was under the impression that if you Breed 2 different types of Amerucanas you now have an EE. I have a beautiful white Amerucana that is fertilized by a lavender rooster but the babies I am hatching will be considered easter eggers.

I thought one of the things that makes Ameraucanas a breed is that they breed true, while EE's don't. I better do some more reading.
1f60a.png

So I guess if an Ameraucana doesn't breed true 50% of the time it becomes an Easter Egger. And as you said, only certain colors breed true. So you CAN cross Ameraucanas and get an Easter Egger. To me, that means they aren't really a breed, and makes me wonder how the breed continues on...but we humans are kind of silly sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom