Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas

:welcome @carol0622! Congrats on your 1st chickies! She is a cutie for sure :)
My 1st two were from a feed store and sold to me as Ameraucana also. My girl lays beautiful green eggs and the (acccidental) boy produces offspring that also lay green. Although they are not Ameraucana they are beautiful, loving birds that are full of personality. Best wishes on your chicken adventures :cd.

welcome-byc.gif
@carol0622 ! Congrats on your 1st chickies! She is a cutie for sure
smile.png

My 1st two were from a feed store and sold to me as Ameraucana also. My girl lays beautiful green eggs and the (acccidental) boy produces offspring that also lay green. Although they are not Ameraucana they are beautiful, loving birds that are full of personality. Best wishes on your chicken adventures
D.gif

Amen to that! You can always add more hens for different colors of eggs (you will quickly find out that chickens are truly like Lays potato chips, you simply can't have just one, or two, or three, or ?????). What you can't add is the personality as each little one is different in his/her own way. So welcome to BYC and enjoy you new babies!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!! Easter Egger or whatever she is, she's going to have a loving home. I am so excited and I'm already feeling the "itch" for more !!!
1f60a.png

Here is the a chart that includes Blue, Lavender, Splash I was speaking of, it works with every breed that I know of this chart is the only one I know of that includes these all on one. They are normally divided into individual charts. I hope this helps you and will give you an avenue to start learning about colors and how to combine them for the results you want.
This is a great chart to have. Thx

The left is Easter... bought her from a local hatchery and was told she is an Ameracauba - she lays blue eggs and has a blue tint to her legs - but I'm not entirely sure...she is white with reddish gold throughout and has big puffy cheeks.

The left is Easter... bought her from a local hatchery and was told she is an Ameracauba - she lays blue eggs and has a blue tint to her legs - but I'm not entirely sure...she is white with reddish gold throughout and has big puffy cheeks.
She's an Easter Egger. Ameraucana are always sold with a color/variety specified. If no color/variety is specified at purchase, it's probably an Easter Egger.

I ordered bantam Araucana/Ameraucana Easter Eggers from Murray McMurray. I do not understand why they use all three names. Many years ago Murray McMurray called them Araucanas only. Can anyone explain this?

I ordered bantam Araucana/Ameraucana Easter Eggers from Murray McMurray. I do not understand why they use all three names. Many years ago Murray McMurray called them Araucanas only. Can anyone explain this?
Because they are a cross.
Using Either Ameraucana or Araucana, and some other breeds as parent stock.

Because they are a cross.
Using Either Ameraucana or Araucana, and some other breeds as parent stock.
Actually McMurray only uses Easter Egger parent stock to produce Easter Egger (mongrel) chicks. McMurray doesn't have Standard Ameraucanas or Araucanas.
Cackle Hatchery has and sells both Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom