Difference Between Cage / Organic / Certified Humane Free Eggs

Well then im trying to think what my flock and many other peoples on here flocks would be considered then ... royalty its actually quite sad that people can say .. HEY where being great chicken raisers and then can do all these horrible things
sad.png

If one doesnt grow it, raise it, consume it, then there is no 100 % proof that it was/is organic.
Our own practices are what makes something organic .

Quote:
WORD TO YOUR MAMMA! That is the truest comment i have ever read!!! Mine don't have cages , they have a coop, they get no vacc's , free range all over my yard, dust bathe, etc....so what's that mean?? i guess i can get 5 bucks for brown eggs....lol
FUNNY STUFF
th.gif

Organic? free range? humane?all of the above?

I read online and watched some videos w/ a commercial farm. She said they HAD to have access outside the enclosure (barn/coop) to be considered free-range - but it was usually just like our RUNS. Maybe it was just a NEast law? ??

So, when my sister said "why don't you free-range your chickens", I said "I do free-range my chickens". And proceeded to tell her what the professionals say.

Though to me free range always meant, un-fenced ---- that's not what the professional said.

I will REALLY free-range the babies which will be eaten (by us), not my layers, they will be secure. Maybe? ??
smile.png

Last edited:
When I left WV, free range (on a large scale commercial farm) simply meant, the chickens were not in cages, had bedding on the floor that they could scratch in.

And, they had to be allowed 1 hour of fresh air and sunlight per day.

Not my idea of free ranging, but better than constantly caged.

However, keep in mind that is how breeders for broilers/fryers are kept. Curtains on the houses are raised and lowered to maintain an optimal temperature inside the "breeder house".

I have worked in commercial breeder houses and I can tell you first hand that the treatment these chickens receive is NOT very humane !

Quote:
Most people would freak if they knew they ate mice! Ick. I can't watch...
sad.png

I 'used' to think that label on the carton meant they fed a formula that didn't have meat or bone added to it. Now I have no idea what it means, although the organic (thirty bucks a bag!) feed I'm buying has no "animal products" in it.

To me (and I'm not USDA) 'organic' means that you feed them stuff free from pesticides and chemicals.

But it ain't easy. Nor cheap. Not sure how much longer I can do it unless I find somebody to go in and buy bulk with.

Sorry to jump on this thread a little late, but was wondering if there was a service that would certify your eggs organic? I know there are companies that will perform the nutritional evaluation on them, but is there somewhere you can apply to become "Backyard Organic"? I don't want to deal with the government (USDA). They are only good at making things big, complicated and inefficient.

Thoughts?

i just personally think ever person in the world should have chickens in there back yard feeding them nice heathy eggs and i also think that my girls and mike lol had to add mike have a great life they see the sunshine they can spread their wings as far as they want to they can jump on perches/roosts they can lay eggs when ever they feel like it. i plan on eliminating my neighborhoods buying of store eggs not knowing what the chickens eat when they have access to see my birds and their living conditions and even for a cheaper price. now thats my opinion but some people may think different

You only other option is to be certified all natural. Do a net search I think it is called All natural .com. I do not have the link anymore as that computer crashed and I did not put it on this one. They have the farmers check each other out to be able to use this label or tag. I know someone that did it and it took a bit too get someone to their place.

Back
Top Bottom