Difference between Cornish X's and Rocks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 2happymamas, Mar 12, 2013.

1. 2happymamas

2happymamas Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Is there a difference between Cornish X's and Cornish Rocks? Some stores around here have them labeled Cornish X's and some have them as Cornish Rocks. One saleswoman said there is a difference and another at a different store said he did not know.

If there is a difference, what is it?

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I did a internet search and from what I can determine, they are the same thing, sometimes called Cornish Rock (Cornish crossed I believe with White Plymouth Rock) sometimes called Cornish X Rock and sometimes just called Cornish X or even CX. However, there may be some old timers here with better information than I was able to get.

3. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    No difference...they should all be called 6 week broilers and there wouldnt be this confusion. I started a thread last year about this very subject called " when will we stop calling them cornish crosses" but, the thread got a little heated and it was shut down, but its there in the meat bird section and it will help clear up your confusion.

1 person likes this.
  4. mmktdox

mmktdox Chillin' With My Peeps

Darn right! The hatchery I get mine from calls them White Rocks. I think they do it to keep us guessing!![​IMG]

5. enel 1

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    Some see it different...but ignorance is bliss. Glad you agree with me. Here is a pic of a cornish rock cross [​IMG]

6. enel 1

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    Nothing like a broiler...it took many decades and millions of dollars to produce what the hatchery's and grocery stores dub as the " Cornish rock cross" the company's that produce these bird even call them " broilers" so then so should we

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by