1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Difference between Cornish X's and Rocks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 2happymamas, Mar 12, 2013.

1. 2happymamas

2happymamas Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Is there a difference between Cornish X's and Cornish Rocks? Some stores around here have them labeled Cornish X's and some have them as Cornish Rocks. One saleswoman said there is a difference and another at a different store said he did not know.

If there is a difference, what is it?

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I did a internet search and from what I can determine, they are the same thing, sometimes called Cornish Rock (Cornish crossed I believe with White Plymouth Rock) sometimes called Cornish X Rock and sometimes just called Cornish X or even CX. However, there may be some old timers here with better information than I was able to get.

3. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    No difference...they should all be called 6 week broilers and there wouldnt be this confusion. I started a thread last year about this very subject called " when will we stop calling them cornish crosses" but, the thread got a little heated and it was shut down, but its there in the meat bird section and it will help clear up your confusion.

1 person likes this.
  4. mmktdox

mmktdox Chillin' With My Peeps

Darn right! The hatchery I get mine from calls them White Rocks. I think they do it to keep us guessing!![​IMG]

5. enel 1

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    Some see it different...but ignorance is bliss. Glad you agree with me. Here is a pic of a cornish rock cross [​IMG]

6. enel 1

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    Nothing like a broiler...it took many decades and millions of dollars to produce what the hatchery's and grocery stores dub as the " Cornish rock cross" the company's that produce these bird even call them " broilers" so then so should we

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by