Difference between cuckoo maran egg color vs. RIR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by princess araucana, Nov 23, 2009.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Hello,

I have two newbies, a cuckoo maran and a RIR both the same age. At least one of them started laying about three weeks ago (they are my only brown eggers).
    I have gotten one beautiful rich brown egg a day. Mostly they look the same but sometimes one seems to have a haze on it making it look slightly lighter.
    The RIR is the only one doing the "egg squat"
    Is she the only one laying? Are the difference in egg color just day to day normal?
    Will the cuckoo maran eggs look much different?

Also, these 2 girls came from a friends large order of day olds from McMurray and my hen is the only one (or two?) laying so far!
    Is that normal?

thanks!

2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Cuckoo Marans from a hatchery are not likely to lay very dark eggs -- so there's really no way to know which pullet is producing your eggs, unless you separate them or catch her in the act!

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I dont have cuckoo marans but on the Wheaten and the BC the dark color on the egg is a coating that if rubbed briskly with a damp cloth or even finger will rub off.

I think most other brown eggs have the color imbedded in the egg so to speak. I am assuing the same would be true for the cuckoo.

4. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Quote:huh, really! so she could lay eggs the same color as the RIR? Well... once I get an incubator I want some black copper marans!

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I started out with a few cuckoo marans and RIR from McMurray's. The marans laid a really dark egg. I didn't know too much about chickens back then, and gave them all away because I didn't like the barred birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by