Difference between cuckoo maran egg color vs. RIR?

princess araucana

Songster
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Rhode Island
Hello,

I have two newbies, a cuckoo maran and a RIR both the same age. At least one of them started laying about three weeks ago (they are my only brown eggers).
I have gotten one beautiful rich brown egg a day. Mostly they look the same but sometimes one seems to have a haze on it making it look slightly lighter.
The RIR is the only one doing the "egg squat"
Is she the only one laying? Are the difference in egg color just day to day normal?
Will the cuckoo maran eggs look much different?

Also, these 2 girls came from a friends large order of day olds from McMurray and my hen is the only one (or two?) laying so far!
Is that normal?

thanks!

Cuckoo Marans from a hatchery are not likely to lay very dark eggs -- so there's really no way to know which pullet is producing your eggs, unless you separate them or catch her in the act!

I dont have cuckoo marans but on the Wheaten and the BC the dark color on the egg is a coating that if rubbed briskly with a damp cloth or even finger will rub off.

I think most other brown eggs have the color imbedded in the egg so to speak. I am assuing the same would be true for the cuckoo.

I started out with a few cuckoo marans and RIR from McMurray's. The marans laid a really dark egg. I didn't know too much about chickens back then, and gave them all away because I didn't like the barred birds.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom