Difference between EE's and Ameraucana?

KTruxillo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Breaux Bridge
I just received my 4 Ameraucana pullets, but after reading some of the posts on here I am curious if I have Ameraucana's or EE's. How do I tell the difference between the two? We ordered a mixed batch that contains Buff Brahmas, Ameraucana's, barred rocks and white leghorns and at this point we can't tell the difference between the BB's and the Ameraucanas. We have this sweet little speckled yellow chick that we have no clue what she is, any ideas?
87871_chickens_002.jpg

87871_chickens_007.jpg

Last edited:
If you ordered them from a hatchery or got them from a feedstore, they're Easter Eggers.
smile.png

There's tons of websites and threads covering this, but the best thing to say is what I mentioned above. Also, Easter Eggers come in assorted colors like yours; Ameraucanas only come in 8 recognized, true breeding colors, and usually are sold that way too. (often if someone buys Ameraucana chicks, most if not all the chicks will be the same color)

Thanks! I got them from a hatchery. I love them all already but where can I find true Ameraucana's for future reference? Do you think the speckled one is an EE? I was trying to research what she is but having a hard time finding anything that looks like her in the breeds that we are supposed to have.

If it has puffy cheeks, yes, it's an EE.

True Ameraucana breeders can mostly be found online, most of us sell hatching eggs but some of us sell chicks too. Pips&peeps sells chicks, then there's John Blehm at chickhatchery.com - Those are true Ameraucanas, and you can actually order several different colors too.
smile.png

Listen to Illia, she knows all about the EE vs ameracuana issue. Your little yellow/ blk polka-dot one looks just like a mystery chic I got from McMurry's hatchery. It turned out to be a Silver Spangled Hamburg roo, but not sure if it's the same as your's or not.

Quote:
We figured out the spotted one is a California white leghorn, will look just like a white leghorn but with black spots, pretty cool looking. We were supposed to have 2 of those but thats only one that looks like that. I am definitely listening to Illia, I did a little more research on them and so far not very clear on what I have, but most likely they are EE's. We are still trying to identify a few chicks, so we will see what happens when they are all feathered out.

The buff brahmas are the little gray ones with gold face, wing tips, and fuzzy feet. The barred rocks are black with a yellow belly and a light spot on their head.

We figured out the barred rocks, we still have an odd one somewhere, the breakdown goes--4 barred rock, 4 ameraucana (we figured probably EE's) 2 california white leghorn and 2 buff brahma. I'm guessing one of my yellow chicks is an EE, I just can't tell which one that may be.

Back
Top Bottom