difference between high and medium layers! a bit confused

Jkioneil

Songster
13 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Oregon
Ok so if I confuse you let me know. I have 3 RIR, and 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 EE, and 1 Buff Orpington. Five birds are considered "high producers" and I don't know what that means. 2 are "medium producers" what does that mean? When they all begin laying how many eggs a week should I expect? and could someone define what it is to be a high producer and what it is to be a medium producer?

Im pretty sure those just mean their level of egg laying. "high producer" will produce the highest amount of eggs, then medium and so on. But it depends how much light they are exposed to for egg laying. Im not sure on teh amount of eggs, but for the high maybe like 4-5 eggs a week? I had a australorp, buff orp and golden laced wyandotte and they layed very well and almost everyday with a few days off and then start up again.

sorry if thats not written to well, they haven't been laying so well this year and have not gotten so many eggs and i've forgotten how many I used to get lol. Hope it helps some.

Last edited:
I have 3 RIR, and 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 EE, and 1 Buff Orpington.

In my experience those will all lay more or less about the same though EE's are always a wild card. The Buff and maybe the EE's are more likely to go broody which impacts production, but when they are not they'll lay more or less about the same.​

we installed a heat lamp light in the coop for winter. make the days a bit longer will that keep the production more in line with summer time?

Back
Top Bottom