Difference Between Pasture-Raised, Free-Range And Cage-Free Eggs

MiriPoe

Chirping
Apr 27, 2018
Is this (see below) true for the entire US? Especially 'pasture-raised' and 'free range'?
"
Free-range is also a term regulated by the USDA, and it means hens were given continuous access to the outdoors during their production cycle. This does not guarantee that a hen ever actually stepped foot outside, it just means there was a way for them to do so. It’s one step more humane than cage-free in philosophy, but according to NPR, it might just mean that the hens had a “few small doors that lead to a screened-in porch with cement, dirt or a modicum of grass.” To be free-range and certified humane, there must be a minimum of two square feet of outdoor space per bird.

Pasture-raised is not regulated by the USDA. But in order for pasture-raised eggs to also be labeled certified humane, it means that the ladies were given ample space to roam outdoors ―we’re talking 108 square feet ― but also have access to a barn for cover. This mandated space means there’s ample room to allow for rotating the flocks, ensuring that they have fresh food to pick at."
Thanks!
Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 2.18.20 PM.png

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/defining-egg-labels_us_57ffaabfe4b05eff55820176

They confuse those definitions by talking about "humane". The last I checked the USDA does n to certify "humane". That's just some private group's definition, not legally recognized. There is no legal definition for "humane" so it could mean about anuythign.

That definition for free range is correct. They have to have a way to get outside but outside is poorly defined. it could be just a small fenced concrete area.
Pasture raised could mean anything, there is no legal definition.

The difference I see in the eggs is the yolk from a bird that has free access to grasses and bugs snakes mice and so on, the yolk will be much darker in color than those pail caged bird eggs one buys in the market.
Free range needs to be defined as does pastured. I myself do not consider an open door to be free range. For me free range needs to mean the birds go outside to scratch on the ground and eat grass and bugs etc. For me pastured means there is not bowls of food laying about for them, they must go scratch to find their meal.
My "pasture" is 225'x150'

Back
Top Bottom