difference in Australorp and Cuckoo Marans chicks??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by evonne, Nov 27, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    hi guys... a friend and i ordered together from a hatchery, he ordered 7 black austalorps, and 10 Cuckoo marans
    i haven'st seen any of them yet... and he says they look almost identical... they're about a week old now.. and he needs to pick out 5 of the marans to bring to me.... he lives in AZ and i live in vegas... we're close, but not close enough to make it an easy road trip to swap them later... it's doable.. just long....
    do both breeds have the same leg color?? i found that they both have single combs, so that's not a way to tell them apart...
    or do we just have to wait till they feather out a bit more to be sure which is which??
    thanx in advance....

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The Cuckoo Marans should have a distinct white head spot, larger on the males. The barring should be starting to show on the wing feathers by now, and they should also have white legs.
    David

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    awsome... he did say some of them had white spots on their heads... but we weren't sure if that meant anything or not...
    thanx......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by