Difference in colors??

ESofVA

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2012
Keller, VA
In D'Uccles, Can you tell the difference between citron, lemon and silver as 2 1/2 week old chicks? If so, how? I have 2 that have hatched and they are much lighter than than my Mille Fleurs and gold necks. They are not porcelain or white. I could take some pics but they would not be really good ones. If I could just know the differences to look for.

In D'Uccles, Can you tell the difference between citron, lemon and silver as 2 1/2 week old chicks? If so, how? I have 2 that have hatched and they are much lighter than than my Mille Fleurs and gold necks. They are not porcelain or white. I could take some pics but they would not be really good ones. If I could just know the differences to look for.

whats the genetic differencen between Lemon and Citroen? I always thought they were the same? meaning they were gold besed bids with a gold diluter like ig cream?

now to the silver ones.. well they look silver always, the citroen will show the lemon color

My lemon came with white chick down and feathers came in bright yellow. My d'uccles are always the buff color as chicks. Here is my lemon d'uccle cross (There is a lemon spangled behind him)

It's hard to catch his true coloring in photos. He is all one color, except for the white in his tail and primaries. Here he is as a chick. He's always been MUCH brighter than anything I'd ever hatched.

Since I have both the silver and the cream gene, it's hard to determine what his lemon coloration is based on. I also have alot of blues in my flock, which is why I have white tails.

Here is a lemon colombian

and this is the same bird as a baby. Her feathers started in white over yellow down. Probably cream over buff. Not sure.

Same bird.

She's on the right, regular d'uccle on the left.

Last edited:
the rooster on the first pics carry Dominant white, which is a gold diluter too, thats why he hatch yellow instead. just like in Pyle Old English games, they Hatch yellow insteads, not they mature with different feathes ofcourse because they lack the columbian restrictors your birds have

Day old Pyle OEG from cackle
http://www.cacklehatchery.com/abj0085.JPG

Last edited:
I will have to get a few pics asap. 4 out of 5 eggs hatched in my incubator yesterday...the 5th is due tomorrow... and when the last comes my incubator goes up for this yr. . I have one dark one, 2 yellow and 1 nearly whiteProb Sat for pics. Have Dr appt tomorrow a distance away so that will take up that day.

Back
Top Bottom