different age eggs in incubator...any tips?

crazy4eggsJulie

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Hi, this is our first time to incubate. My eggs are supposed to go on lockdown tomorrow. However, I had to take newer eggs away from an undecided broody who keeps moving them around all over the coop, sharing them with another hen, sitting on 6 then 1 then 2 then 6, etc. I figured they'd have better chances of living in the high humidity on lockdown than with her!

Do you guys ever do this? The directions said to candle the eggs at 10 days and remove ones that are not fertile to make more room in the incubator, so I assume it's done. I know I need to take the turners out.

Any thoughts? Tips?

Thanks!

I have heard you really should not do eggs that hatch at different times because when the first eggs hatch they release more humidty into bator that the can harm the later eggs waiting to hatch. Its a humidty thing. its about all I got for ya. Good luck!

Only other thing I think of is maybe if you can, get/borrow another bator..............
hmm.png

You don't have much time but is there any way you could lock the broody in a small area with a nest and a couple of eggs to see if she will sit? Just give here enough room for a nest, some food and water, and enough room to poop. It usually helps if it is a little dark. If she takes to that nest, you could give her the eggs. That way she would not get confused as to which is her nest.

They might have a better chance if the humidity were the only concern, but turning them is another problem leaving them in the incubator.

I can't tell you what to do. It is rough when they mess up that way.

Good luck!

I have a second 'bator on the way, but it won't arrive in time.
sad.png

Yes, the broody is still sitting on two eggs that she hasn't rejected...YET. I put several of the other eggs under a better broody and several in the 'bator. The ones in the 'bator only went in 2 days ago. Will the humidity damage them this early on? Maybe at 5 days development or so.

I guess I'm going to need to confine her. Then maybe she won't move them all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom