Different Barnevelder Coloring

If it were mixed with a Lavender Marans, it would just be a plain black chick. :) Lavender just dilutes black and two copies are required to have any visual effect. Any chick from a mix of Marans would look black and carry one copy of a hidden lavender gene! I would be very curious what their thoughts are! She did definitely look like a Barnevelder when young so I see why they said that :)
I sent another email. I will update!

If it were mixed with a Lavender Marans, it would just be a plain black chick. :) Lavender just dilutes black and two copies are required to have any visual effect. Any chick from a mix of Marans would look black and carry one copy of a hidden lavender gene! I would be very curious what their thoughts are! She did definitely look like a Barnevelder when young so I see why they said that :)
Based on the photo below (left) I think you’re right. I haven’t learned much about chicken genetics yet but she definitely seems to be showing the silver duck wing coloring. This is so cool 🙂 12736255-903D-4D1F-9D2D-9F71E5DE656C.png

This was the response I got via email… not very helpful!

Hi K,

Glad you love the chicks!

Honestly I have no clue what breed that is. It might have to get older with full grown pic of it before we can tell but cold be an isbar, barnevelder, or maybe a cross somehow but our birds are housed all in their own breeding pens with no access to other breeds so it is confusing!”

This was the response I got via email… not very helpful!

Hi K,

Glad you love the chicks!

Honestly I have no clue what breed that is. It might have to get older with full grown pic of it before we can tell but cold be an isbar, barnevelder, or maybe a cross somehow but our birds are housed all in their own breeding pens with no access to other breeds so it is confusing!”
Somebody hopped the fence then and she's a cross. ;) Pure Barnevelders with yellow legs wouldn't throw offspring with slate legs. It's not an Isbar. They're only blue, black, or splash or possibly birchen. It's interesting they won't admit to that because they don't have any breeds that remotely make sense if she was pure. 🧐

Yes definitely.

She is HUGE compared to my Barbie’s. About the same size as my cream legbar. Also she sounds more like a duck than a chicken I noticed yesterday! She’s a cool bird who might always be a mystery. Maybe I can figure out more when I see the color or her eggs.

Yes definitely.

She is HUGE compared to my Barbie’s. About the same size as my cream legbar. Also she sounds more like a duck than a chicken I noticed yesterday! She’s a cool bird who might always be a mystery. Maybe I can figure out more when I see the color or her eggs.
Now that's interesting. I've heard apparently Denizli Longcrower hens quack but they're not carried by your breeder. They also look more similar. I wonder if they carry them but they aren't for sale. Huge stretch but the quaking is an interesting similarity. Here's a link to their noises.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdwMhdnvvRh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Now that's interesting. I've heard apparently Denizli Longcrower hens quack but they're not carried by your breeder. They also look more similar. I wonder if they carry them but they aren't for sale. Huge stretch but the quaking is an interesting similarity. Here's a link to their noises.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdwMhdnvvRh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I will have to find pictures of them as chicks! She does sound quite similar to them and the looks are similar but so far her comb is much smaller

I will have to find pictures of them as chicks! She does sound quite similar to them and the looks are similar but so far her comb is much smaller
Her comb will get larger with age. She's not sexually mature. Since they're more of a landrace breed bred for the trait of crowing, chick down and adult color will vary and won't be standardized. I wouldn't focus too much on chick down personally. Do you have any updated pictures?

Her comb will get larger with age. She's not sexually mature. Since they're more of a landrace breed bred for the trait of crowing, chick down and adult color will vary and won't be standardized. I wouldn't focus too much on chick down personally. Do you have any updated pictures?
5C7F338B-473F-42F4-88FD-AC365E840F92.jpeg 28E5653D-A620-42A8-B784-707B8F151A27.jpeg 98BE9632-EF6D-493B-A448-4F115E6F40BC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom