Different behavior

The Lurker

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 2, 2012
Hey all,

My girls have been really consistant in their behavior up until yesterday. When i opened up their run to let them out to free range, they would'nt come out. I coaxed a few of them out but the others acted like they forgot how to get out of the run. When i put them up last night, i believed all was well. When i got up this morning to let them out of the coop and into the run, they stayed in the coop. Then I noticed that 3 of them didn't go home last night and stayed out all night.

This is weird behavior for them and i'm wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen and what i can do to put them back on track.

Thanks,

Sean

It sounds like they got a fright yesterday and now they are nervous to go out and explore. Is anyone missing? I think there may have have been a predator having a look or trying it's luck. The 3 that didn't go back to the coop last night might have ran off and didn't have time to get back before dark. Keep an eye and an ear out for the next few days. They'll let you know if something's scaring them. They have this funny, nervous culuck-culuck-culuck-culuck sound they make. It's hard to describe it, but it different from their usual noises. I may be wrong here, but this is how my hens reacted when we had a predator situation on our farm. From my experience chickens love to roam and free range and won't stay near the coop unless they are scared or it's feeding time or raining and they need shelter.

Back
Top Bottom