Different breeds together?

Moselle

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Is there any reason a person would want to have at least 2 of each kind of chicken (say, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 RIR, etc) as opposed to having 6 chickens of completely different breeds? Do chickens like to stick with their own breed, or do they not care one way or the other? Sorry if this is a really stupid question.

my hens have clicks but I also have 1 EE and 1 wyndotte that hang toghether becasue they others of their breeds were rooster and were sent away I have 2 fovorrel and 2 marans also and they hang with their own breed. we will see what happens when I get 3 delawares next week. there is no such thing as a stupid question actualy this one is good

henry

Last edited:
I have six girls here all standard breeds they all live very happily together....

1 Barred Rock
1 Rhode Island Red
2 EE's
2 Salmon Favorolle

I LOVE mixed flocks it is nice to look out and see all the different colors in my yard
smile.png

My BR, RIR, and EE's were raised together as chicks and are always together the SF's were just recently added into the flock and now after about 6 weeks they are starting to be part of the flock as well.

Last edited:
I have a large mixed flock for my main egg layers. I don't hatch their eggs so it's no worry for me about cross breeding. I love to look at all the different colors.

All of my breeds co-habitat
big_smile.png
I am not breeding them now.but when I do they will have to be separated.... I dont have a problem one with different breeds..... I love the diversity and different eggs you get
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL that is why I added in the two EE's to get colors in my egg basket..... but I so far only get all different shades of brown from all the girls
hmm.png

fl.gif
Keeping my fingers crossed my other EE when she starts laying will at least have a different shade other then brown. They do still look so pretty even if they are all shades of browns
big_smile.png

LOVE the photo Cyn!!!

Last edited:
Not a stupid question at all. The decision as to what kind of flock to maintain has to do with what your goals are. If you want a colourful backyard flock then pick out an assortment that appeals to you, one of each is fine-chickens as a rule get along better than people.
big_smile.png

If you just want chickens any breeds will do-if eggs are your goal choose from the better egg producing breeds. If you want to grow your own meat choose the faster growing, heavy hybrids.
If you're interested in showing or maintainig a heritage breed then you should choose a breed you like and focus on it.
Don't know if that helped but the answer to your questin really lies in why you want chickens.

Back
Top Bottom