Different breeds together?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moselle, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Is there any reason a person would want to have at least 2 of each kind of chicken (say, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 RIR, etc) as opposed to having 6 chickens of completely different breeds? Do chickens like to stick with their own breed, or do they not care one way or the other? Sorry if this is a really stupid question.

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    my hens have clicks but I also have 1 EE and 1 wyndotte that hang toghether becasue they others of their breeds were rooster and were sent away I have 2 fovorrel and 2 marans also and they hang with their own breed. we will see what happens when I get 3 delawares next week. there is no such thing as a stupid question actualy this one is good

henry

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I have six girls here all standard breeds they all live very happily together....

1 Barred Rock
    1 Rhode Island Red
    2 EE's
    2 Salmon Favorolle

I LOVE mixed flocks it is nice to look out and see all the different colors in my yard [​IMG]

My BR, RIR, and EE's were raised together as chicks and are always together the SF's were just recently added into the flock and now after about 6 weeks they are starting to be part of the flock as well.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have a large mixed flock for my main egg layers. I don't hatch their eggs so it's no worry for me about cross breeding. I love to look at all the different colors.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They'll get along fine if they don't know any different, but given a choice, here's what will happen:

[​IMG]

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

All of my breeds co-habitat [​IMG] I am not breeding them now.but when I do they will have to be separated.... I dont have a problem one with different breeds..... I love the diversity and different eggs you get [​IMG]

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Speckledhen..........change those to Ducks and my front steps look the same [​IMG] isnt it worth all the poo [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You should see it when they all get on the steps and we have to weave our way through to get into the house, LOL! Poop dries and washes off, no problem. I love my girls to be close.

9. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL that is why I added in the two EE's to get colors in my egg basket..... but I so far only get all different shades of brown from all the girls [​IMG]

[​IMG] Keeping my fingers crossed my other EE when she starts laying will at least have a different shade other then brown. They do still look so pretty even if they are all shades of browns [​IMG]

LOVE the photo Cyn!!!

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Not a stupid question at all. The decision as to what kind of flock to maintain has to do with what your goals are. If you want a colourful backyard flock then pick out an assortment that appeals to you, one of each is fine-chickens as a rule get along better than people.[​IMG]
    If you just want chickens any breeds will do-if eggs are your goal choose from the better egg producing breeds. If you want to grow your own meat choose the faster growing, heavy hybrids.
    If you're interested in showing or maintainig a heritage breed then you should choose a breed you like and focus on it.
    Don't know if that helped but the answer to your questin really lies in why you want chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by