Different Colored Shoulder Points - EE/Australorp

WWChickens

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2015
New Hampshire
So I have a question, does different colored shoulder feathers indicate rooster? A lady I sold Australorp/EE chicks to brought 2 back because she thought they were roosters. Both of them were all black like their Australorp father, however one has brown/green feathers on its shoulder, that weren't there a month ago. I keep juggling the idea of pullet because of the way he/she walks, but then rooster because of the tail. What always gets me thinking that some hens (EEs) are roosters, are because of the tails. Mine usually have long tails, that come out straight when the are adolescents, and as they become hens, their tails begin to stand up. However here are some pictures of the shoulders. (Looking at the pictures again, he/she does have a thick neck, and the feathers aren't long and skinny like a roosters?)

Here's a picture of him/her from a month ago (didn't have brown shoulders then):

Father (Australorp):

Mother (Either the white or the brown EE is (I'm thinking brown) (brown is the mom of the white.):

(Fun Fact) I named this pullet/cockerel Corporal, his/her brothers' names are Commodore and Cocoamo:

This is Commodore (he has an auburn feather on each shoulder, deffiently not as prominent as his sibling.)

This is Cocoamo (a younger picture, but he's all black like his dad, he doesn't have an EE mom.)

Last edited:
Bright pink combs before ten weeks old almost always means cockerel. The patches of color is another tell-tale sign of a cockerel.
Male specific hackle and saddle feathers usually don't begin to develop until about 10 weeks old, and it can take several more weeks for those feathers to be easily visible.

Bright pink combs before ten weeks old almost always means cockerel. The patches of color is another tell-tale sign of a cockerel.
Male specific hackle and saddle feathers usually don't begin to develop until about 10 weeks old, and it can take several more weeks for those feathers to be easily visible.

Thank you!

I call them the red patches of death
hmm.png
. Especially on an otherwise black bird, that's purely a male indicator. sorry.

Back
Top Bottom