Different egg laying times throughout the day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarahandbray, Nov 15, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    My Golden Comets (6) and White Leghorns (4) are about the same age (25-weeks) and have been laying for quite a while now. The weird thing is that since I got them, the Golden Comets all lay between 6-7:30am and the White Leghorns lair until much later in the morning/early afternoon.
    Is this weird? Both excellent layers--though the Golden Comet's brown eggs are significantly bigger. Friends have been enjoying the mix of brown and white in the carton!!

(Blues, greens, Olive, and speckled coming this spring! Can't wait! Pullets are 13-weeks now...waiting game!)

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    No, this isn't weird. I've got a pullet who lays her egg around 4:30 pm and the days are short at this time of year. However, she is the lowest on the pecking order so I'm wondering if she's the last allowed to use the nest box. Even though I have 16 nest boxes and 13 hens, all of them use the same three nest boxes and they take turns.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Not unusual at all. I have 10 girls and they lay throughout the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by