Different Growth Rates

hypnochyck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Benicia, CA
I have 6 3 week old chicks. One each of Cuckoo-Marans, Buff Orpington, Dominique, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Golden Campine and an Easter Egger. All of them are a head taller than the little Golden Campine. Is she always going to be smaller or will she catch up?
jumpy.gif

I was wondering the same thing about my Barred Rock and Buff Orpington, who still look small compared to my two Rhode Island Reds.
Were they all born on the same day?
...I think my two RIR's were born about a day before my other two, but that shouldn't make such a difference...(should it?)
hmm.png

My barred rocks always seemed to be "runty" but they have caught up well. I have had some bo" that started and stayed small for awhile but have caught up also. Different chickens, different personalities as well as growth rates. Good luck with them

Quote:
They were all born on Memorial Day. MyPetChicken told me that all their chicks are born on Mondays. I find that intriguing and I'm skeptical. They insisted that they do not assist the hatching, either, they just have the breeding and hatching down to a scheduling science. Still skeptical. Sounds fishy to me.

I've seen adult RIR's at a friend's house and I think that they are naturally larger birds. I expect the Buff Orpington, judging by photos I've seen, to be quite large.

I just worry she'll get picked on being so little.

Back
Top Bottom