different hatch dates in the same incubator

je

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Bend, OR
I was reading about how some people set eggs with different hatch dates in the same incubator in this forum a week or two ago. Now I can't find the thread, so I thought I would start a new one.

Who has set eggs with different hatch dates in the same incubator? How did you do it and did it cause any problems with your hatch?

I have 4 hatches going now, some go to the hatcher tonight, others in about 5 days and the rest in 4 days after that. I just put the Turkey eggs in so 25 days on those.
Most people will use a seperate hatcher for staggered hatches.

Yes I use a Hova Bator 1602 Still Air for hatching, I know some people on here have made homemade bators and hatched in those. But for $40.00 it was easier to just buy one and be done with it. I had to tweak it the first time I hatched but it has stayed steady since. Each time I plug it in, I usually do a couple days in advance, fill all the water trays and by the time the eggs go in the temp and humidity are right.

That's what I figured. Well I don't really want to buy a second incubator, so I suppose I just need to wait until my eggs hatch before I get more.

Quote:
You can put the eggs hatching in a tray or small wire cage.

I set eggs every week. can use the hatching tray in the bottom, or Move to a hatcher.

You can hatch in the same incubator,just mark the date you set them on each eggs.

I made a homemade bator and I am hatching in it too.
smile.png
I don't see why you should buy a whole new bator for hatching and another for incubating.
hu.gif
But that's just me. I don't know what your preferences are, but I sure wouldn't want to really go and buy a whole other bator. I just let the egg hatch in the bator and then when the chick dries, I will put it in the warm brooder box where it will have fresh food/water.
big_smile.png

Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

I have a full bator right now (Genesis 1588) with two hatches in it. I am going to buy either a hovabator basic version or little giant basic for hatching. Hubby has considered building me one for hatching but so far he hasn't had time to so we will likely buy one.

I have one incubator, with hatches every week, that I use for hatching and incubating. So far I haven't had any trouble with the hatches. Only problem I have is all my hens want to go broody, so I am running out of eggs to set!

The issue with incubating and hatching within the same incubator is the humidity. They need different levels of humidity and you put at least one group at risk when it is changed for the other. For example, if you increase humidity to 70% for the ones due to hatch, the ones that aren't due are being flooded with that water (thus not evaporating and growing air cell properly).

Also, you will want to consider the bacteria left behind from hatchlings, for your eggs still incubating in that environment. It is not a good combination. It is best to incubate and hatch in separate environments.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom