Different Quail Breeds In Same Pen?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MAYNARD1, Dec 10, 2010.

1. MAYNARD1

MAYNARD1 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    I HAVE A SIMILAR SET UP AS THIS GUY AND HAVE JUMBO BROWN COTURNIX AND GA. GIANTS. THEY ARE IN SEPERATE FLIGHT PENS BUT COULD I PUT THE TWO BREEDS TOGETHER? THIS GUY DID. IS THAT AN OK IDEA? I ALWAYS HEARD NOT TO MIX THE SPECIES. HES EVEN GOT PHEASANT IN THERE.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    It Can Be Done Given Enough Space And Structure, But Bob Agression Will Most Likely Be A Problem. Then There's The Cross Breeding Potential. As Far As The Pheasants Those Are Golden Pheasants And Probably About The Only Breed You Could Pull This Off With Without Serious Issues.

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Birds like humans are different individuals, quails for the most part can be really agressive to different species even against themselves, you just gotta know your birds, and even then you'll get some surprises. For example I used to have a bobwhite a coturnix and a chukar all together in the same pen and they were fine never had a problem, recently the bobwhite died and i moved the coturnix out of the chukar pen and put it with a batch of other coturnix where she was well accepted. Then I moved my chukar with a batch of 15 bobwhites and she was also well recived in there, now from those 15 bobwhites I tried to move half to a pen with older bobs but theyu were not well recived at all so had to move them back to where they where and they live really happy with the Chukar their friend.
    Now I also have 2 Gambels who will kill everything that approces them so far I've lost 2 coturnix and 2 bobwhites to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by