different sources conflict re: humidity

I run my cabinet style incubator at about 45% humidity until the chicks pip. Then I make sure the water containers are full and I put in two wicks until they are done hatching.

This has worked the best for me. Did you see the post from Marcus Carr about his hatch when he had too much humidty?

It it here and there are pictures of the results: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32583

I
think too little humidty up until hatching is better than too much.

You didn't say what type incubator you have. I have 2 Hovabators (1 still & 1 forced air). I live in the humid South like Speckledhen, and it is always a struggle to keep the humidity down. I cannot speak for the larger incubator models. However:

When in doubt with these small, table-top incubators, then simply follow your Incubator's Manufacturer's instructions on what pan to fill days 1-18 & then on the last 3 days, fill as instructed in the instructions (the extra pan) & for MORE, toss in the clean sponge soaked in warm water (no matter where you live) and you'll probably come out good.

Chris

I do have the circulated air Hova with auto turner. I most often incubate in the drier months, though, so I don't have too bad a time with humidity rising beyond what I can control then. Incubating in summer is a different story since we don't use central air, keep the windows and doors open, allowing humidity into the house.

Back
Top Bottom