Different stages of incubation

Mel35

Chirping
Sep 23, 2023
Hey guys,

I pleeeeeease need some advice on different stages of egg incubation. I have 1 egg that is due to hatch next Saturday and then I have a couple eggs that are due to hatch maybe a week later. Will it be a disaster for my later eggs when I have to change the temp and humidity for my one hatching egg? I am aware that I shouldn't have staggered my egg incubation but it is already done and something I won't do again, so if there is any advice out there I would very much appreciate the information.

✌🏼

You didn't say what kind of eggs. I am assuming chickens, unless you say otherwise.

Will it be a disaster for my later eggs when I have to change the temp and humidity for my one hatching egg?
Leave the temperature alone. The hatching egg should be fine with the same temperature they have been incubating at.

Raise the humidity at the right tim for the hatching egg. After that egg hatches, drop the humidity back to the usual level, until the next eggs are ready to hatch. Then raise it again for them.

It will not be a disaster for the later eggs. They should be fine.

I agree...don't mess with the temperature at all.
It should stay the same.

As far as the humidity goes if you don't have a salt tested humidity gauge in your incubator your humidity level is probably way different than what you think it is.
Most bators reading are off.

You shouldn't trust the temperature a bator reads either.
Get some of these:
https://us.govee.com/products/govee-h5100-mini-hygrometer-thermometer-sensors

Yes sorry chicken eggs.

I did think in the very beginning that my temp may have been off in my incubator so I have had a hydrometer in there since the beginning, it's been such a life saver, I don't think my first batch would have been such a success without it.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to time the humidity right and leave the temp alone 👍🏼

Yes sorry chicken eggs.

I did think in the very beginning that my temp may have been off in my incubator so I have had a hydrometer in there since the beginning, it's been such a life saver, I don't think my first batch would have been such a success without it.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be sure to time the humidity right and leave the temp alone 👍🏼
Let us know how things turn out, good luck!

Hey guys.

So this is an update to my previous message. My baby chick hatched well he looks healthy but now I have another situation. He was the only one to hatch and after he fluffed up I removed him from the incubator but now he is crying out for friends. I have chicks in a separate brooder that were born 21 Sept am I able to take one chick from that brooder and put it in with my newly hatch chick for some company and if not do you guys have tips for making him feel less lonely. I feel awful that he is alone and his crying is hurting my heart!

Once again, any advice is welcomed.

So this is an update to my previous message. My baby chick hatched well he looks healthy
I'm glad to hear it :)

but now I have another situation. He was the only one to hatch and after he fluffed up I removed him from the incubator but now he is crying out for friends. I have chicks in a separate brooder that were born 21 Sept am I able to take one chick from that brooder and put it in with my newly hatch chick for some company
I think it is worth trying that. If it works, you may be able to combine the two groups after the little one gets a bit bigger (maybe in a few weeks.)

If that does not work, maybe you can divide a brooder with wire mesh (so they can see through it), and let the little chick live next to the big ones for now, then try again to combine them when he is older.

and if not do you guys have tips for making him feel less lonely. I feel awful that he is alone and his crying is hurting my heart!
There are some threads about raising single chicks. Other than buying more chicks, common suggestions include a mirror and a stuffed toy. (So it can see itself, and snuggle with the toy.)

Back
Top Bottom