1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

different worm types

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kat1117, Oct 22, 2014.

1. kat1117

kat1117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    What is a capillary worm? I know tape worm and pin worms but i have never heard of capillary worms. If one bird is infested with worms does that mean all your flock is and is the parasites any way get in the eggs. I give my eggs away i would hate to know they were bad.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are other types of worms that chickens get besides the ones you and I mentioned; cecal worms, large roundworms, gizzard worms, eyeworms, gapeworms and others. Large roundworms and capillary worms are probably the most common that large and small flock owners come across, sometimes cecal worms and less commonly, tapeworms. I would say that gapeworms are the most dangerous but are rare in chickens. Capillary worms are dangerous simply because they are almost unseen and very numerous in the chickens system once infected. It's rare that a worm can be found in an egg. BUT, it can happen. It has happened to a couple of BYC members.
    Here's an excellent link regarding capillary worms in poultry, followed by a few pics for you:
    http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2649&Itemid=2938
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. kat1117

kat1117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much for the information back it is helpful.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by