Differential Diagnosis?

DoctorGoose

Songster
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Hello, all cat lovers--

Today, Miss Allie went in for her spay surgery. (At the Spay Station). The vet noted that she had bloody urine--here's my question, as we've not noticed anything wrong with her, and she's been on antibiotics for the past two weeks--could this have been caused by the surgery? Or perhaps she has kitty kidney stones? She had no previous tenderness or abdominal pain that was discernible. She is approx. 14 weeks old, 3.5 pounds.

My logical train of thought concerning this:
1) Pt has been on antibiotic treatment
a) Pt does not have a UTI
b) Pt has a UTI that is resistant to that antibiotic
2) Pt has kidney stones
a) Pt is too young for kidney stones due to diet
3) Pt has a some sort of genetic defect
4) Pt's UT was damaged in some way during the surgery, and they're playing it off to a UTI.

*sighs* Let me know what y'all think...

Don't be so quick to blame the vet. It's very possible that she has a UTI. Cats are prone to them. Bloody urine is a very common symptom. What does your vet say to do? What is his diagnosis? I would listen to him.

He just said there was blood in the urine. The reason I don' t think it is a UTI is because she just got of antibiotics two days before this started--ergo, they would still be in her bloodstream. Crazy, no?

Not all antibiotics would treat a UTI if that is what she has. So even with having them in her system, she could get one depending on what they were. I would doubt kidney stones though just due to age unless it is a genetic defect. She could be stressed from the surgery, depending on the method the surgeon uses they could irritate the bladder during surgery. Cats are prone to them, I wouldn't get to worried about it unless it has trouble clearing up.

Back
Top Bottom