Differing development speeds???

Ironclay

Chirping
Dec 22, 2020
Hello everyone!

I'm doing my very first incubation attempt and I'm getting very confused by what I'm seeing, versus what the great internet tells me I should be seeing.

First off: I messed up, and placed orders from EBay (because, why not), but it was right before USPS decided they weren't going to ship lives, so I got the box of eggs late. They went into the incubator on the 25th, and were already at least 10 days old. Humidity stays at 47-49%, because I can't get it any lower and if I even so much as breath in that box, it will spike to 70%. (My ambient humidity is crazy.)

Because I'm an eager beaver and can't leave things alone, I tried candling them on days 5-7 and saw nothing. Not even that supposed blood ring, or vein, or a dot. Not even an air cell. These are white/cream eggs, so I was hoping to see something.

But last night, there was stuff. And it doesn't look at all like the Day 10 candling pictures I've seen.

One of the 6 eggs was completely see-through with no features at all, so I took it out. Just lit up like a Christmas tree. I couldn't even see a yolk. It's not changed since the day I put it in.

One egg is just a small see-through translucent area at the top and what appears to be a small air cell, and then a giant black mass taking up the rest of the egg. Absolutely no light penetration.

One egg has a moderate air cell and free-floating mass with little red spaghetti strings inside it. Even if I hold the egg super still, there's something the size of my pinkie nail actively moving around. A lot, bobbing up and down. I figure this could be an embryo, but it's much smaller than what I've seen in pictures.

One has a dark spot about the same size, but it's stuck near the top beneath the air cell and does not move, even if I move the egg.

The two others have developed "dark spots" near the top of the egg at the edge of the air cell, but these both appear to be much earlier in development. They look like pictures and videos of eggs being candled on day 5.

Can someone help me out?

Is the free-floater viable, or is it supposed to be doing that? Is the completely dark egg a ticking time bomb I should be worried about?

Why do I have eggs that appear to now be developing at different rates, even though they are sitting right next to each other and were placed at the same time? Is that a thing?

Last edited:
Do you have an independent thermometer you can put in there as incubators are notorious for their temperatures not being what they say they are. Even a medical under the tongue one would do - you just have to leave it in there for awhile before turning it on as otherwise it won't read anything.

Some incubators can have cooler and warmer spots which can lead to eggs developing at different rates. It's a good idea to rotate the eggs through different areas of the incubator throughout incubation to even these spots out.

I keep eggs lying on their side when candling and shine the light in at the fat end. Seeing movement is a positive sign and they are most active when they are small.

I've never had an egg look completely dark so I'm not sure what's happening there (hopefully someone else will have an idea) but with the others I'd leave them in until you are absolutely sure what's happening with them. The one with a dark spot may have stopped developing and died. You should be seeing veins at this point. If in doubt, leave them in.

How old were the eggs you bought from ebay? How long did the shipped eggs get to you? Were they traveling through bad weather? Did you stabilize the eggs for 24 hours?
You should be able to see spidery veins with a red core from day 4 through 12. It's rare to have free floaters but it does happen usually they graft themselves to the egg eventually. As the embryo grows it looks darker eventually most of the egg will just look dark with just the air sack visible by day 15. You would need to post pics of the condition of the eggs that your mentioning for people on the forum to give you a more accurate response.

How old were the eggs you bought from ebay? How long did the shipped eggs get to you? Were they traveling through bad weather? Did you stabilize the eggs for 24 hours?
You should be able to see spidery veins with a red core from day 4 through 12. It's rare to have free floaters but it does happen usually they graft themselves to the egg eventually. As the embryo grows it looks darker eventually most of the egg will just look dark with just the air sack visible by day 15. You would need to post pics of the condition of the eggs that your mentioning for people on the forum to give you a more accurate response.

They were fresh when they were first shipped, but stayed in shipping for just over a week. I am guestimating they were 10 days old when put in incubator.

I did let them sit still overnight before putting them in the incubator.

I will try to get some photos today after running errands.

I keep eggs lying on their side when candling and shine the light in at the fat end. Seeing movement is a positive sign and they are most active when they are small.
I always turn mine up and hold the light under the fat end. Should I be leaving them sideways? Thanks!

I always turn mine up and hold the light under the fat end. Should I be leaving them sideways? Thanks!
Sorry - I haven't been on here for ages.

I don't think it matters too much unless you have delicate, shipped eggs where the air cells have been a bit damaged from being in transit. Keeping the egg on its side just stops any additional pressure being put on them as well as stopping any additional pressure on the chalazae which can often be damaged in shipped eggs as well. I just find it more comfortable to hold them sideways and with my light I can see more that way, but if you have a proper candling light with a holder to put them in then that's fine too. :thumbsup

Sorry - I haven't been on here for ages.

I don't think it matters too much unless you have delicate, shipped eggs where the air cells have been a bit damaged from being in transit. Keeping the egg on its side just stops any additional pressure being put on them as well as stopping any additional pressure on the chalazae which can often be damaged in shipped eggs as well. I just find it more comfortable to hold them sideways and with my light I can see more that way, but if you have a proper candling light with a holder to put them in then that's fine too. :thumbsup
Welcome back!

Nothing proper about my set up here! Hahaha

And this is really good to know because all of my fertilized eggs will have made some kind of trip. No roosters here nor pure breeders local to me. I did candle sideways last night and I can see just as well on most but a couple still enjoyed the "tilt a whirl experience".

Thank you for the explanation, it really helps me to understand the developmental process and why some things are important.

Back
Top Bottom