dig-proof "skirt" material

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
When you're making a dig-under-prevention "skirt" -- like people make hardware cloth in a L shape at the base of the run

Is there any reason that *has* to be made of hardware cloth?? Regular fence, such as welded wire would prevent a raccoon from digging in, right? Who cares if his paws will reach through the holes so long as he can't squeeze his body through - me thinks.

Reason I ask is because hardware cloth is pricy and I would have to buy it new, while I already have a bunch of welded wire fence that I got on the cheap.

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
Thanks!

I figured it would work, but since I've never actually had a raccoon dig under I was afraid I might be missing something.

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Yup, anything smaller than 4x4 (as long as it is heavy gauge and galvanized) is fine. Honestly I don't use hardwarecloth for run fencing either, mine is all either 1x1 heavy gauge mesh, or 2x4 or chainlink that has something finer run along the inside on the bottom 2-3'.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

bigoakhunter

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
i used 1x2 welded wire fence on run around bottom, out 18 inches. I also had a couple of old square grill grates and oven grates

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
My run is all 1/2 hardware cloth. It goes down one foot below ground level. At ground level outside the run, I have 2x4 farm fencing going out three feet and covered with dirt.

Top Bottom