dig-proof "skirt" material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tala, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

When you're making a dig-under-prevention "skirt" -- like people make hardware cloth in a L shape at the base of the run

Is there any reason that *has* to be made of hardware cloth?? Regular fence, such as welded wire would prevent a raccoon from digging in, right? Who cares if his paws will reach through the holes so long as he can't squeeze his body through - me thinks.

Reason I ask is because hardware cloth is pricy and I would have to buy it new, while I already have a bunch of welded wire fence that I got on the cheap.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Use whatcha got. The reason hardware cloth is use is that it is also run up the side of the run a couple feet, for obvious reasons.......Pop

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I use 2 X 4 welded wire.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Thanks!

I figured it would work, but since I've never actually had a raccoon dig under I was afraid I might be missing something.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, anything smaller than 4x4 (as long as it is heavy gauge and galvanized) is fine. Honestly I don't use hardwarecloth for run fencing either, mine is all either 1x1 heavy gauge mesh, or 2x4 or chainlink that has something finer run along the inside on the bottom 2-3'.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. hobbz

hobbz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Flatwoods, KY
    i used 3' chainlink fence i has laying around

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like very good thinking Tala. I think a lot of us get sort of locked in on one idea, (hardware cloth in this case)...

8. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    i used 1x2 welded wire fence on run around bottom, out 18 inches. I also had a couple of old square grill grates and oven grates

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My run is all 1/2 hardware cloth. It goes down one foot below ground level. At ground level outside the run, I have 2x4 farm fencing going out three feet and covered with dirt.

10. WitksChicks

WitksChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Central CT
    I have welded wire, down 18" and out 2'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by