Looking for thoughts and experiences re: hardware cloth

I would do the 1/2" HC horizontal apron, but not go up the walls 6ft with it; you only need ~2ft height on the walls of HC to protect from predators like a raccoon reaching through and grabbing a chicken.
That depends on what pests/predators you deal with, and if a fully predator proof run is needed (i.e. chickens don't get locked up in the coop at night). Weasels and rats can climb, for example. I only have hardware cloth up the bottom few feet of my fence to prevent raccoon reach ins, but rats do occasionally get in.

We did consider using the 2×4 welded wire for the run (we've used it for our past runs). But I like the idea of being able to keep wild birds and the squirrels out.

The biggest threat is going to be dogs and cats (both our own and neighborhood strays) and aerial predators. I suspect we had hawks nesting in the trees between our property and the next last year and I've heard owls for a couple years now. Other than that, I've seen a possum in the neighborhood, and while I haven't seen any raccoons I know we have them in town. We're not that far from the edge of town, I wouldn't be surprised if we get the occasional coyote or fox although I don't think they're likely. I haven't seen any rats but I know we had mice in the house when we moved in and I suspect they are currently living in the garage.

I have found that galvanized 1/2" hardware cloth rots on the floor of the coop. I just bought some vinyl coated 1/2" hardware cloth to replace the rotted one. Regular hardware cloth is fine unless it is on the ground and getting wet...so, I am making my skirt with the vinyl coated, too...and just regular for the walls.

Back
Top Bottom