1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Digestion issues?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CuddleBug820, Apr 1, 2017.

1. CuddleBug820

CuddleBug820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2015
    My RIR hen had sour crop start about 2 weeks ago. I took her to the vet and got her antifungal medication and antibiotics. She was also xrayed and no blockage showed up. She has been off the medications since Monday but she still whines when she poops like it hurts her and she can't work it out. The vet gave me more antibiotics to put in her water to help with the diarrhea but she is still struggling and seems in pain to poop. Does anyone know anything I can do to help her or know what might be wrong? (On a side note but i don't think it's related she went outside for the first time wednesday, flies attacked her bottom and she had two spots I found on her today where she had maggots. I have picked all of them off her, given her an Epsom salt bath, cleaned with peroxide and put Neosporin on the areas, none have been seen in her poop or in her vent. The pain issue with her pooping was there well before she was taken outside and the maggots found.)

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Did your vet perform a fecal float checking for worms or cocci?

Crop issues are usually a symptom of an underlying cause like worms, cocci or internal laying/reproductive disorders. If she is whining when she poops, then she may have some type of inflammation making it hard to go. Offer her poultry grit, wet poultry feed only and a little yogurt or hard boiled egg for a "treat" - basically soft foods to see if that helps.

For the maggots on her bottom - it sounds like she has Flystrike. Check her daily for any more maggots- soak her epsom salts, salt water, betadine, or soap and water to help the wounds heal. Pick out any maggots that you see. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wounds and keep her on clean dry bedding. Peroxide was fine for a one time cleansing, but repeated use can damage the skin.

Here's more information on treating crop issues:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/07/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

3. CuddleBug820

CuddleBug820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2015
    Thank you for replying, but sadly, my baby girl didn't make it.

I took her to the vet yesterday because she had a hard mass when i tried to feel in her vent for an egg. I was worried she had some liquid or severe swelling and I wanted to get her help. I was told she had an aggressive tumor that was pushing up on her lungs, surrounding her hip bones and suffocating her digestive tract. She was slowly dying from it and I didn't know. The vet was only open until 12, so I took her out in their backyard area where they had a beautiful garden with lots of grass and I spent the last few hours with her letting her walk around and loving on her as much as I could. I got her put to sleep because in just that day span she got bad to the point i could see the pain in her little face. She would pick at the grass outside but wouldn't really eat it because her crop was still full because it couldn't be digested. I wanted to take her home and have more time but i knew one way or another I wasn't going to have my baby in my life the next day. I wanted her to go out peacefully and not in pain in the middle of the night. I could see her body was already starting to shut down and there was nothing her mommy could do for her but let her go out pain free. I am completely heartbroken and have gotten no sleep knowing that she is gone from her mommy. She was my daughter, my friend, my world. I looked forward to coming home everyday and getting to see her. She was only 2 and taken from this world too early. I know you probably didn't want to know all this, but i just had to say it all. RIP Ducky girl March 23, 2015-April 1, 2017

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by