Digestive trouble in 8 month old Buff, please help!

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
Sarah had "poopy butt syndrome" 3 weeks ago. We separated her, gave her a bath, got all the funk off her booty, gave her stuff against constipation (recommended by BYC members), and she seemed fine. 3 weeks later, she's got the same thing again, with runny, dark-green poop.
My chickens are on layer feed, water with ACV, fruit and veggie scraps from the kitchen, and oatmeal with a glob of yoghurt every morning (too rich, too much yoghurt?) They free-range during the day, if I'm home.
My neighbor has had some issues with his sewer in the past 3 months, and there's a permanently damp area in his backyard, where grass grows like crazy. The chickens have gotten over there several times, and I'm wondering if this is what's causing her diarrhea. Could it be? I've recently installed a fence, to keep them out of my neighbor's yard, and perhaps this will remedy the problem, but in the meantime, what do I do for her? She has not lost any weight, and she lays, eats and drinks normal, but she does take more "breaks" during the day, and more dirt baths, than the other ones. She also is a bit on the chunky side...
roll.png
, due to spoiling on my part...
15560_sick_chicken_002.jpg
15560_sick_chicken_001.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds feasible to me, but there is no way to be sure (well, maybe, a bunch of expensive tests.....) You certainly needed to contain your chickens on your property. And your neighbor needs to deal with his septic. There are laws that require that a septic system function properly.

It sounds possible. Most chickens love fungus and mold and will scramble to eat as much as they can, which is not always that good for their digestion.

Have you checked for lice, mites, or worms in the poop? Sometimes parasites can cause this.

I agree with "Chillin" - your neighbors' gack could be seeping into your yard, too. That would suck. I can only imagine what a hassle it would be to deal with - calling the health dep't and all, which would be your only recourse if that truly were the case. You could have your soil tested (from that area) to see if it's high in sewerage(sp?), but that won't be cheap. Hope it works out ok.

Sorry to hear about your bird, my opinion-- lay off the fruit and veg's. stay to laymash,water and plain yog(only as a treat)
smile.png
. I give my girls and guys plain yog. NO FRUIT... It gives you the poops don't it;). their system is much smaller... also the neightbor system is not healthy for your girls. Try keeping them in the coop with lots of air. I know they won't like it. You could also give them some terisim. in the water. But you will need to check to see if you can eat the eggs with giving it to them... it works like a antibiotic for us.. I think the other person is right.. tell the neightbor to get the septic fixed or you can just call the health board... if its not healthy for the chicken and making her sick whats it doing to you? dirt baths are a good thing they do it cause it feels good it helps fight off fleas and lice. You said you put up a fence- its a good thing--keep her in the pen a while and see what happens....good luck

Back
Top Bottom