Diggin up worms

kdolly87

Songster
5 Years
Dec 22, 2014
Dalton Ga
Hey y'all! So I went out and dug up some worms cause I had given them some last week and it was a feeding frenzy. Today I took in a squirmy hand full and they seem to be horrified! What the heck?! Anybody have any ideas as to what may be going on?

My flock not only follows the tiller but in the early morning dew they are out in the tall grass pulling up night crawlers. If I'm weeding my flower beds they are there, after a rain shower you will see them in the driveway slurping up the worms. I have heard about parasites that worms can carry but I have not seen any evidence in my flock. IMO chickens know what to eat, I'm sure we all have noticed what they leave behind from the daily kitchen scrap bucket. Meal worms are to chickens like chocolate is to me lol. God bless. ;)

Mine do the same thing...one day they fight over them, and the next day they may just turn around and walk off. I think it has to do with whether or not they need the extra protein. If their body needs it, they want it. Just one of those cool nature things I guess :)

When my girls were chicks they went nuts for earthworms. Now that they are fully grown they can care less about them. Drives me nuts as I had a vermiculture setup to raise worms for them all year, disassembled the vermiculture bin and dumped the results into the compost bin.

Mealworms, now that's a different story. You can lose a hand while feeding mealworms, but earth worms are ignored.

When my girls were chicks they went nuts for earthworms. Now that they are fully grown they can care less about them. Drives me nuts as I had a vermiculture setup to raise worms for them all year, disassembled the vermiculture bin and dumped the results into the compost bin.

Mealworms, now that's a different story. You can lose a hand while feeding mealworms, but earth worms are ignored.
EarthWorms further more,are bad for chickens.Causes parasites and a bunch of other stuff.
Mealworms are my hen s fav,I totally agree you'll lose a hand.

Last spring while digging in garden I noticed an abundance of earth worms and grub worms. I gathered a few of each and offered them to my girls one at a time, They would gobble up the grub worms but refuse the earth worms
I couldn't believe it so I threw them on the ground and they promptly ignored them..
idunno.gif

They have zero fat, that is the problem for them. But they will always attack BSF, which are 50% fat.

Possibly the big blob of them frightened the chicks.Mines have never reacted like this an djust went in for the kill.
Next time do it1 by 1 worm.
-ThePRfan

Oh y
Possibly the big blob of them frightened the chicks.Mines have never reacted like this an djust went in for the kill.
Next time do it1 by 1 worm.
-ThePRfan

Oh you're probably right!! They are pretty young the oldest is just 5 weeks and the smallest are about a week old. I did get some extra though to keep for later. We'll try again in a bit. Thanks :D

Oh y

Oh you're probably right!! They are pretty young the oldest is just 5 weeks and the smallest are about a week old. I did get some extra though to keep for later. We'll try again in a bit. Thanks
big_smile.png
No Problem.How have you and the chicsk came?

Back
Top Bottom