Diggin up worms

When my girls were chicks they went nuts for earthworms.  Now that they are fully grown they can care less about them.  Drives me nuts as I had a vermiculture setup to raise worms for them all year, disassembled the vermiculture bin and dumped the results into the compost bin.

Mealworms, now that's a different story.  You can lose a hand while feeding mealworms, but earth worms are ignored.

Thanks I'll have to try those!!

Last spring while digging in garden I noticed an abundance of earth worms and grub worms. I gathered a few of each and offered them to my girls one at a time, They would gobble up the grub worms but refuse the earth worms
I couldn't believe it so I threw them on the ground and they promptly ignored them..
idunno.gif

They have zero fat, that is the problem for them. But they will always attack BSF, which are 50% fat.

My flock not only follows the tiller but in the early morning dew they are out in the tall grass pulling up night crawlers. If I'm weeding my flower beds they are there, after a rain shower you will see them in the driveway slurping up the worms. I have heard about parasites that worms can carry but I have not seen any evidence in my flock. IMO chickens know what to eat, I'm sure we all have noticed what they leave behind from the daily kitchen scrap bucket. Meal worms are to chickens like chocolate is to me lol. God bless. ;)

My flock not only follows the tiller but in the early morning dew they are out in the tall grass pulling up night crawlers. If I'm weeding my flower beds they are there, after a rain shower you will see them in the driveway slurping up the worms. I have heard about parasites that worms can carry but I have not seen any evidence in my flock. IMO chickens know what to eat, I'm sure we all have noticed what they leave behind from the daily kitchen scrap bucket. Meal worms are to chickens like chocolate is to me lol. God bless. ;)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom