Dilema - when my chickens are outside they get frostbite and when they are inside they peck each oth

The tractor is around 2-3 ft in height.

We do get a fair bit of snow around here. Last year we had a snowdrift around 6 ft high. Right now all we have in the way of snow is a light dusting.

I have had tractors completely covered by snow to point where even elevated roost was covered, Birds somehow kept their spot clear of snow and scrambled up through it to feed, Birds were fed on snow for a couple of weeks and they retreated back down to roost when not feeding. Birds not so confined flew from place to place rather than walking on snow. It was as is they were playing frogger trying to cross the stream.

Our FBCM roo got pecked the other day. Had a touch of frost bite also. Brought him in the house. He will go into the brooder with a heat lamp when he goes back outside. Not a good choice for Manitoba winters maybe but we love our FBCM.

For you folks who say they get frost bite when they go outside, how do you know and what does it look like?
My chickens have been going out in the yard this week, and the daytime temps have been in the 20's and they can't wait to get out. And even when they don't get out into the yard, they are in the run. I sure would hate to lock them in the coop.
I'd just like to know what to look for.

When it first occurs the affected comb and wattle area will turn yellow to almost white which is maintained while tissue is initially frozen. Base of that area will turn dark brownish (appears black) with bruising and often than discoloration will extend into the frozen area when it thaws. The area boarding the dead tissue will then swell and typically feel warm to the touch as necrosis proceeds.

For you folks who say they get frost bite when they go outside, how do you know and what does it look like?
My chickens have been going out in the yard this week, and the daytime temps have been in the 20's and they can't wait to get out. And even when they don't get out into the yard, they are in the run. I sure would hate to lock them in the coop.
I'd just like to know what to look for.
What I saw last year was anything from a grayish cast(what I perceived to be mild frostbite, like mild sunburn) to a dark black spots/patches.
2 roos had large black patches on their wattles, neither swelled or became infected and they eventually healed up leaving a fine line of a scar.

What I saw last year was anything from a grayish cast(what I perceived to be mild frostbite, like mild sunburn) to a dark black spots/patches.
2 roos had large black patches on their wattles, neither swelled or became infected and they eventually healed up leaving a fine line of a scar.

Swelling I mention is best seen while directly handling the bird. Area to become scar will be area between the fine line and the necrotic area. My birds have it pretty rough so frostbite, when in manifest is pretty clearcut. Last winter even gamehens and rose combed American Dominiques got it ruining the latter for show. In my setting the use of petroleum jelly is not effective and frost bite appears to happen during the day when birds exposed comb and wattled to wind.

Quote: My birds are totally confined and eat from hand so while I didn't directly hold them it was very easy to see the affected area closely and I kept a very close eye on those patches to watch for any swelling and/or infection, there may have been some very slight swelling. The black patches happened on a night of 29F and 50-60% humidity.
Think it happened while drinking and dipping wattles in an open water container, and using nipples this year to minimize that particular part of the problem.
Yes, the scar tissue formed where necrotic tissue met healthy tissue, by spring you could hardly see it. Both birds are gone now one to the pot, one re-homed.

Back
Top Bottom