Dilemma on feed shortage until Saturday. What to do?

raroo

Songster
11 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Well, when we went to buy more chick feed yesterday after work we discovered the store is only open till 5:30, and we can't get there until after 6. We've been there so often I'm amazed at myself for never bothering to check their hours. We always go on Saturdays, and I felt pretty sure the feed would last till this Sat. Well, I was wrong, and it looks like there's a very good chance they will be completely out of feed by sometime tomorrow.

I was wondering what would be better; I have layer feed, or I have a recipe for homemade feed. They would have to eat it for probably a full day at the very most.

Would a day of eating layer feed be very harmful for the chicks? They are six week old white rocks.
Or would a day of eating homemade feed be better?

Chickens have lived centuries without relying on the consistency of and nutrients from commercial feed. I'm sure yours will be fine with whatever you have on hand
smile.png

What are you currently feeding them, pellets or crumbles? Is the layer feed the same? I would make sure that the two kinds are the same, ie: crush pellets to mix with crumbles. I would mix what chick food you have with enough layer feed to get them through. If you mix, it won't be such a drastic change to their system. But this is just my opinion.

smfamf, both the layer and the chick feed are crumbles. Mixing it sounds like a good idea.

Thanks very much for the input everyone.
smile.png
I guess the extra calcium is more of a long term problem, right? And the layer feed is much closer to their normal feed, and probably less hard on their systems than the whole grains that would be involved in a homemade feed.

My mind is eased a bit now. Thanks again.
smile.png

I would do the layer myself. It's probably finer than you would make the homemade kind. Easier for them to digest.

Do you have oatmeal? They LOVE it!!! and it fills them up... You'd have to bring in some sandy soil or some chick grit for them to peck at though so they can grind up the softfood. Scramble some eggs(Very healthy for them). Yogurt, sodium free crushed saltines... They'll eat almost anything.

ETA: You can do the oatmeal cooked or uncooked... Can you tell I've had to do this before...
tongue.png

Last edited:
Take the layer pellets & put them in the Blender. If you have any vitamins and electroylts put it in the water (; its only a couple days...

Back
Top Bottom