Dilemma on new additions to the coop

Jeronamo

Hatching
Feb 17, 2015
I have 2 bantam hens and they hatched 5 chicks which are now about 12 weeks old. Unfortunately, it looks like I have only one pullet and 4 cockerals! Sadly, the cocks must go, but I am worried for the little remaining hen - she will get picked on by the 2 hens. Would it be okay to aquire another pullet from somewhere, so she has a friend - and I have one more layer, of course! Would this scenario go down smoothly? I am pretty new to the fickle ways of chooks...

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! The look but don't touch method is a great way to introduce new members to your flock. Have them next to each other but sperated by wire so they can see each other and become aquainted but can't get to each other and fight. After a few weeks of this you can introduce them but be on watch so you can jump in incase the usual pecking order scuffles get too much or bloody. Adding extra feed and water stations is also a good idea so the established birds can't bully the new one out of eating and drinking. Here is nice article on adding new members https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Yorkshire Coop gave you great advice and a great link, so I will just say "Welcome to Backyard Chickens." Always room on the roost for new members.

Thanks for the help. The article made for interesting reading.
I am thinking I might just stick with the group I have got (minus the cockerals) - introducing a new chicken to the flock sounds a little tricky.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Yes, it would be fine to get another pullet as a friend for your lone pullet. Just make sure you keep the newcomer quarantined for at least two weeks before introducing it to the rest of your flock. Otherwise, you risk transmitting disease.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Defiantly check out the link provided by Yorkshire Coop and like BantamLover21 said, make sure you quarantine the new bird.

Back
Top Bottom